Page 87 of 126 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997 ... LastLast

Thread: Grizzly Bear Defense

I'm back from hunting and while we don't have Grizzley's in North Carolina, we do have black bear. Where I am at its the coastal versions, big and fat off of agriculture. Sunday night I ran one out of camp twice. Tuesday night walking out after dark, about 600 yards out from camp I heard something in woods and my light found a large bear staring back at me about 100 feet out. Talking very loudly made it back off a few yards. It ended up following me all the way back to camp while I recited the preamble and the general orders, I think I even sang to it at one point. I never took eyes off of it and never seemed to be aggressive. It finally broke off about 75 yards from camp. To be fair, they are displaced right now, the big timber that was their living area is being clearcut. The skidder races is what drove me to come home early.

I have a feeling that it is the same boar I had a run in with back in the summer. I was coming through the row planted pines when he jumped up about 30 yards away. he stood up on his hind legs huffing and popping his teeth. Yelling did no good and because I had people to do and places to see, I put a round of .357 in the dirt. He ran off 70 yards or so and I was able to get on by.

Quote Originally Posted by Risto View Post
    Video blurb of the wrestlers.

https://youtu.be/0ywi5a_f1lo
    College Wrestlers are tougher than woodpecker lips. Jiu Jitsu guys probably wouldn’t have made it

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by KneeShot View Post
    College Wrestlers are tougher than woodpecker lips. Jiu Jitsu guys probably wouldn’t have made it
    That probably explains why most of the times I roll with a college wrestler I feel like I got mauled by a grizzly

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

My hiking gun is a 3 inch smith 29, first 3 are snake shot, next three are hot bear loads. Not many bears down here, lots of snakes. If I were somewhere where there were more and larger bears I wouldn't go out with less than some hot 454, 480 ruger looks promising for that.

Site Supporter
    Black bear attack in Leavenworth, Washington.

The little park by the river is right at the edge of town, but pretty wooded, brushy and natural. There was a cougar attack there in 2019.

Authorities asked the public to avoid the area of Enchantment Park Way off Commercial Street while they responded to this incident.

Personnel with the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife were called to the scene with Karelian bear-tracking dogs.

They later located, killed and removed an adult female black bear near the area where this incident took place, according to a statement posted to their website at 10:50 a.m.

Two approximately nine-month-old cubs were also captured in the area before being assessed and transported to a PAWS wildlife rehabilitation facility, according to WDFW officials.

https://mynorthwest.com/3681610/woma...r-leavenworth/

guys shot himself fighting a griz?

Not the first time that has happened and I'm surprised it doesn't occur more often than it does when handguns are involved.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Site Supporter
    What’s the best bear gun for grabbing a late night snack; from your kitchen....

https://www.al.com/news/2022/10/bear...jures-man.html
    Bear breaks into Gatlinburg cabin, injures man
    A 200-pound black bear injured a man staying in a Gatlinburg, Tenn. cabin over the weekend.

Officials with the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency said the man was staying at a rental cabin near downtown Gatlinburg when he walked into the kitchen Saturday night and discovered the bear. WATE reported the bear entered through a set of locked but not deadbolted French doors.

The bear charged at the man, injuring his head and scratching his back before he made it to the bedroom to call 911. The man was later treated and released at a local hospital.

The bear, a 209-pound female without cubs that was 2-3 years old, was trapped at the scene and euthanized early Sunday afternoon. DNA and testing on the claws to positively identify the bear as the one in the cabin are underway.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolt_Overide View Post
    My hiking gun is a 3 inch smith 29, first 3 are snake shot, next three are hot bear loads. Not many bears down here, lots of snakes. If I were somewhere where there were more and larger bears I wouldn't go out with less than some hot 454, 480 ruger looks promising for that.
    If I was carrying a revolver for a bear gun, all six would be bear loads. More likely to have plenty of time to drop in a snake round if you need it. If you need a bear load, you may not want to take the time to dump the three ineffective rounds, and then only have three bear rounds without a reload.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List