Page 64 of 126 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114 ... LastLast

Thread: Grizzly Bear Defense

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post

I live on the edge of town, in AZ, near the mountains, so ... yeah, pretty much paradise!
    Sounds good. Ive tried to get the wife to move somewhere place it doesnt snow and its not cloudy half the year. Not having any luck so far.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

I live on the edge of town, in AZ, near the mountains, so ... yeah, pretty much paradise!
    No no no must be corrected...

I live on the edge of Tweekerville, near the cholla forests and the flaming hot sand dunes, so yeah pretty much hell!”

No paradise in Arizona stay away LOL
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post

I live on the edge of Tweekerville, near the cholla forests and the flaming hot sand dunes, so yeah pretty much hell!”

I stand corrected.

And the pay scale for my profession sucks here.

Grizzly Bear Defense

Mrs. CF and I are back in civilization after 4 days at a remote cabin in SE Alaska. I carried my 1301 for hikes/bushwhacking expeditions. We saw bear sign but no bears—until this morning. I was outside the cabin drinking coffee and checking the InReach. Something made me look around, and I saw a black bear was very close behind me. I yelled “get the fuck out of here!” and drew my Glock 20. The bear did leave, but took its time.

Side notes: my Safariland ALS holster got soaked in the rain, and the lining softened. I found that no matter how I adjusted the release screw, it was possible to overinsert the gun, causing a locked condition that was difficult to remedy. I will probably switch to a non-retention holster.

My Kenai chest holster did not get used at all. It’s simply too inconvenient.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Awesome. That girl is fearless!

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post

I stand corrected.

And the pay scale for my profession sucks here.
    You only need to say that to libtards.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post

My Kenai chest holster did not get used at all. It’s simply too inconvenient.
    Care to elaborate? I find chest holsters to be almost ideal when I'm hiking with a backpack or wearing waders.

Grizzly Bear Defense

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Care to elaborate? I find chest holsters to be almost ideal when I'm hiking with a backpack or wearing waders.
    Waders. That seems like an excellent application for the Kenai holster.

This trip involved so much putting on and taking off gear all day, that a Safariland QLS belt/paddle mount was more convenient. I had my shotgun slung for hikes with a pack, so didn’t get to try the chest rig that way. Also, I couldn’t figure out how to wear the rig with a floatation device. Maybe next time, I’ll give it a try.

Interestingly, my draw from the chest holster isn’t that fast compared to 3:00 or AIWB.

This trip involved so much putting on and taking off gear all day, that a Safariland QLS belt/paddle mount was more convenient. I had my shotgun slung for hikes with a pack, so didn’t get to try the chest rig that way. Also, I couldn’t figure out how to wear the rig with a floatation device. Maybe next time, I’ll give it a try.

Interestingly, my draw from the chest holster isn’t that fast compared to 3:00 or AIWB.
    Shotgun is a good choice. Far better than a handgun. I wear a self inflating PFD due to completely hating zip up PFD's whether carrying handgun or not. None of the clothing I wear outdoors is conducive to wearing a belt holster, but I'll admit I haven't tried a paddle setup.

If you have a standard vest type PFD try cutting off the left bottom pocket and affixing some velcro as a locator for the chest rig strap. Adjusting mine for a PFD only takes a few seconds.

If you're using an inflatable PFD position the pistol so the left side of the inflatable acts as a wedge to angle it inward slightly.

Chest rig draw stroke is definitely different and I'm not surprised you're faster from the position you're used to. It's a weird angled sort of index otherwise you go all crazy waving inflatable arm tube man at the car dealership with it. I like to do a lot of bushwhacking so a quickly accessible slung shotgun is a pain.

Glad your trip went well and mister blackie moved on.

User Tag List