Page 5 of 126 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Grizzly Bear Defense

The bird hunter experience is probably more typical than untypical — where a shot somewhere, even if not immediately incapacitating, causes the bear to discontinue the attack. If grizzly bears actually had to be killed DRT, to stop an attack, the statistics would look dramatically different.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming Shooter View Post

The picture in that story isnt what most would think of as grizzly country, but it bears out what people that spend a lot of time outdoors have been saying for years, and that is all the good grizzly country is FULL to capacity with bears and has been for some time, overflow bears of new generations have to go find new country out of the mountains, wherever they can find it. Grizzlies have been commonly seen 20 or more miles from mountains for years. This indicates the falsehoods forwarded by those claiming the grizzlies havent recovered well enough to be delisted federally, and managment given over the the states.

It also reminds me that in liking the 3" K frames, if I get one, its going to be a 13, not a 10.
    Last edited by Malamute; 11-08-2017 at 08:27 PM.

Do you think a .357 is sufficient for bear defense?

With correct loads its passable, and assuming in a situation where one chose not to carry a regular size belt pistol, like a 44 mag or 45 Colt, I like the option of upgrading power potential if desired. I have a couple boxes of the old school Winchester Lubaloy 158 gr loads, which were a copper plated semi-wadcutter with good sharp edges and wide flat point. I keep a few handy when toting a 357. Carry loads for 4" 19 are Rem 158 sjhp.

If going around in the hills, I never carry lighter calibers, but just out in the yard has grizzly potential. Not likely, but every couple years one is spotted down around where some of us humans live and hang out. Its not much of a walk, the 3-4 miles or so from National Forest, and edge of the mountains, a mile farther perhaps.
    Last edited by Malamute; 11-08-2017 at 09:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    The picture in that story isnt what most would think of as grizzly country, but it bears out what people that spend a lot of time outdoors have been saying for years, and that is all the good grizzly country is FULL to capacity with bears and has been for some time, overflow bears of new generations have to go find new country out of the mountains, wherever they can find it. Grizzlies have been commonly seen 20 or more miles from mountains for years.
    Grizzlies used to roam the plains regularly.
    As recently as the 1890's they were along the Pecos River basin in West Texas.
    One was killed in the Davis Mountains of west Texas in 1900.
    In 1931 one was killed in the Gila Mountains of far south central New Mexico.
    It'd be interesting to have a large predator back in some of it's historical territory.
    The mountain lion population here in southern New Mexico has spread as far as west Texas around the Kermit, Texas sand dunes.
    Last edited by JodyH; 11-08-2017 at 11:02 PM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Yes, back in the good old days, all sorts of interesting stuff happened.

One of Charlie Russells stories starts out "Like most things worthwhile, it happened a long time ago...."

When i was living in Flagstaff in the 80s, someone came into the gun shop with a plaster cast of a grizzly track they said they made in Sycamore Canyon I believe. A guy had been backpacking somewhere in the canyon (I think, was long time ago) and disappeared a bit before the track was found and cast. Dont know if they ever figured out what happened to him.

I never felt out of place carrying my 29 there.

By the way, awesome avatar pic.
    Last edited by Malamute; 11-08-2017 at 11:07 PM.

We're just lucky the short-faced bear isn't still hanging around.
    1/3 larger than a polar bear and built to run down plains animals, they were truly scary ass animals.
    It's been said that the short-faced bear pretty much single handedly shut down migration from the north into what's now the United States for a few centuries until man figured out a way to actually have a fighting chance against them.
    Keep in mind these people were used to fighting and killing Kamchatka and Alaskan grizzlies and had even dealt with polar bears but the short-faced bear shut their ass down for a thousand years or more.

Attachment 21466
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    We're just lucky the short-faced bear isn't still hanging around.
    1/3 larger than a polar bear and built to run down plains animals, they were truly scary ass animals.
    It's been said that the short-faced bear pretty much single handedly shut down migration from the north into what's now the United States for a few centuries until man figured out a way to actually have a fighting chance against them.
    Keep in mind these people were used to fighting and killing Kamchatka and Alaskan grizzlies and had even dealt with polar bears but the short-faced bear shut their ass down for a thousand years or more.

Attachment 21466
    Quick Google search: "Because its long legs enabled it to run at speeds of 50–70 km/h (30–40 mph), an alternative hypothesis is that it may have hunted by running down Pleistocene herbivores, such as wild horses and saiga antelopes, in a cheetah-like fashion, at one time earning it the name "running bear"."

That's a horror movie just waiting for Stephen King.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    Quick Google search: "Because its long legs enabled it to run at speeds of 50–70 km/h (30–40 mph), an alternative hypothesis is that it may have hunted by running down Pleistocene herbivores, such as wild horses and saiga antelopes, in a cheetah-like fashion, at one time earning it the name "running bear"."

That's a horror movie just waiting for Stephen King.
    This find suggest rumors about that their line of DNA may not be all gone and they may still be out there . . . waiting.

https://exemplore.com/cryptids/Giant...us-Still-Alive
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List