Page 32 of 126 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast

Thread: Grizzly Bear Defense

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    I think I already know the answer but I'll ask to be sure since y'all know more about this than I do. How would 7.62x39 work for outdoors defense in areas where there aren't brown bears? Mostly blackies and cougars around here. On that same note, what about .300 blackout?
    That's a very common rifle chambering in AK by many accounts because of the inexpensive SKS and ammo. I met an old gal in AK that said that was their place's primary go to weapon for brown bear which cause problems out where they live from time to time. FMJ.

@GJM for 300 BO info.

Even light rifles are way beyond the pistols.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    He aimed at the side of the bear, to avoid killing it. It was his last shot. She spun around, and then came after him again. He barely made it in the house.

So now, there's a wounded mama bear roaming around.

SMH. Aim at the bear's side, so you don't kill it, because it will definitely give you the same courtesy.

Site Supporter
    “[the shotgun blast] which he had aimed at her side so as not to kill her”. WTF???????
    A grizzly is charging you and you are shooting to maim?????

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    “[the shotgun blast] which he had aimed at her side so as not to kill her”. WTF???????
    A grizzly is charging you and you are shooting to maim?????
    That is PC Canadian talk for “I tried to brain that bear.” I once read where a woman killed a grizzly bear in BC with a hit to the nose with a cast iron frying pan, and apologized, saying she hadn’t meant to hit the bear hard enough to kill, just discourage it.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    I see Duelist and I think alike but he is apparently a faster typist than me.
    Ok, I buy “shit I almost completely missed but don’t want to admit it” as the most plausible scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    That is PC Canadian talk for “I tried to brain that bear.” I once read where a woman killed a grizzly bear in BC with a hit to the nose with a cast iron frying pan, and apologized, saying she hadn’t meant to hit the bear hard enough to kill, just discourage it.
    Does taking a brain pan shot while back pedaling count as getting off the X?

Attachment 31717
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

After falling over on snowshoes when being charged by a moose, and considering the terrain I commonly travel in, I have decided that I will consciously stand my ground in a charge to give me the best possible chance of placing one accurate shot on a charging bear. Neither falling over or shooting while pedaling backwards seem conducive to accuracy.

No bears on my Montana hunt that just finished, but I harvested a nice elk with my .300 WM while carrying a Gen 5 Glock for back-up.

Name:  CCAE727B-7C3D-4C8D-9321-3B4F46673F73.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  102.8 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

There are certainly exceptions to this, but for most people in most shooting situations, my general advice is; Shoot if you're going to shoot, and move if you're going to move.
    Last edited by 41magfan; 10-25-2018 at 08:11 PM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    After falling over on snowshoes when being charged by a moose, and considering the terrain I commonly travel in, I have decided that I will consciously stand my ground in a charge to give me the best possible chance of placing one accurate shot on a charging bear. Neither falling over or shooting while pedaling backwards seem conducive to accuracy.

No bears on my Montana hunt that just finished, but I harvested a nice elk with my .300 WM while carrying a Gen 5 Glock for back-up.

Name:  CCAE727B-7C3D-4C8D-9321-3B4F46673F73.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  102.8 KB
    I struck out this year, but helped my buddy harvest his first elk

How far was your shot?

The new Hornady 300 PRC has my attention. If it gains some traction I’ll have to give it a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List