Page 30 of 126 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast

Thread: Grizzly Bear Defense

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I am hunting elk near there starting Saturday. My rifle is a .300 WM but will have either an HK with Lehigh Super or a 19X with Lehigh on me.

I hunted with a 300 WM for years. Past 2 seasons used a 6.5 with great results.

This year I’m taking a 375 for no real reason other than I have an irrational love of 375’s. Haha

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I am hunting elk near there starting Saturday. My rifle is a .300 WM but will have either an HK with Lehigh Super or a 19X with Lehigh on me.
    Good luck! That should be an awesome hunt.

I vote 19X. For science.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    That's pretty cool data.
    I wonder how they came to pick this round? The only 10mm Prvi JFP round I can find is a 170gr at about 1100fps. I wonder if any testing was done or did they just pick what they thought would work?
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I vote 19X. For science.
    Part of me feels guilty for liking your comment, as it is G's safety we're talking about. But.... if he did choose to take the 19x, that would be a huge endorsement for 9mm given his bear (and moose) experience as well as his track record for making logical gear choices over emotional ones.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Part of me feels guilty for liking your comment, as it is G's safety we're talking about. But.... if he did choose to take the 19x, that would be a huge endorsement for 9mm given his bear (and moose) experience as well as his track record for making logical gear choices over emotional ones.
    Plus, Science!

JHC, I get it that I am expendable! I do believe that a warning shot is sometimes effective in stopping a charge, and 9 is surely as effective as .45 Super for that. After a warning shot, any body shot stops many attacks, and if that were not so the success rates of stopping bear charges with a handgun would look much worse. For a body shot, not much difference again between 9 and Super. For a determined attack, the reliable way to stop a charge is touching the brain, and again I am not sure how much difference there is between a Lehigh Penetrator in 9 versus Super. Another part of the analysis is I have been shooting a Glock almost every day in practice and competition since July, and I really do believe in bullet placement first. If the Acro was here, it would be an absolute no brainer.

Which 6.5 cartridge, and let’s hear more details. The last two years, my elk has been harvested at about 440 and 350 yards, and even with perfect bullet placement I worry about the power difference between a 6.5 and .300 WM, if we are talking Creedmore.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Which 6.5 cartridge, and let’s hear more details. The last two years, my elk has been harvested at about 440 and 350 yards, and even with perfect bullet placement I worry about the power difference between a 6.5 and .300 WM, if we are talking Creedmore.
    Creedmoor, handloaded a touch hot. I would def think hard about the 350 and probably take it in favorable conditions, would probably pass on the 440 with the Creed. I’ve “heard” of guys going to 500 and beyond with the Creed on Elk....but like most everything else people say regarding long range shooting, I gotta see it to believe it. Almost all Creed loads are dropping below 1200ft lbs past 500.

I took a cow at 280 with a 140 Berger, she walked less than 10yds. Dropped a decent Bull with the Berger as well, right at 230yds.

What sold me on the Creed was a hunting partner dropped a bull at 350ish with one and a 140 Berger 3yrs ago. I’ve shoot Creed for awhile now, on average going through a barrel a year on my A.I., after seeing its performance it was worth a try since I’m very familiar with it.

I know Ryan Cleckner took a Creed w/21” barrel to Africa on a plains game hunt. He was blown away with the performance having took a Wildabeest, and several Kudu. According to him, none of the game went more than 20yds.

If you’re into the long range hunting game, I’d stick to the WM. Although, a guy at my range has had good success with a 6.5-06 (30.06 necked to 6.5), he’s running 140’s close to 3000fps. I’ve just never been into wildcats.

Wink

Been trout fishing out there in Paradise Valley for over 30 years, and have never seen any sign of bears down in the valley (have seen grizzlies at long range in the park). But that was in summer, and presumably the bears were higher up, and not down around people anyway. But dang, after reading that article, I might start carrying a 9 or 45c with the Lehighs.

Hm-m-m, come to think of it, many years ago, we pulled into a parking area at a stream we intended to fish. There were several signs prominently stapled onto trees, warning about grizzly bear problems in the area, and advising people to go elsewhere. We did that, but stopped in a local fly shop later to ask the owner, who was a good friend, if we really needed to avoid that stream, which had good fishing reports. The owner looked at us, somewhat like we were aliens from outer space (or maybe it was because he knew we were from NC), and said that there were hundreds of streams in the area that had great fishing, and no intelligent person should go fishing where there could be a bear problem. He might have added "or you guys either", after "intelligent person", but I don't recall

Quote Originally Posted by TCFD273 View Post
    Creedmoor, handloaded a touch hot. I would def think hard about the 350 and probably take it in favorable conditions, would probably pass on the 440 with the Creed. I’ve “heard” of guys going to 500 and beyond with the Creed on Elk....but like most everything else people say regarding long range shooting, I gotta see it to believe it. Almost all Creed loads are dropping below 1200ft lbs past 500.

I took a cow at 280 with a 140 Berger, she walked less than 10yds. Dropped a decent Bull with the Berger as well, right at 230yds.

What sold me on the Creed was a hunting partner dropped a bull at 350ish with one and a 140 Berger 3yrs ago. I’ve shoot Creed for awhile now, on average going through a barrel a year on my A.I., after seeing its performance it was worth a try since I’m very familiar with it.

I know Ryan Cleckner took a Creed w/21” barrel to Africa on a plains game hunt. He was blown away with the performance having took a Wildabeest, and several Kudu. According to him, none of the game went more than 20yds.

If you’re into the long range hunting game, I’d stick to the WM. Although, a guy at my range has had good success with a 6.5-06 (30.06 necked to 6.5), he’s running 140’s close to 3000fps. I’ve just never been into wildcats.

My .300 is very lightweight but a great shooter. Pre-64 model 70, Lilja barrel, Brown Precision stock. It has taken a bull moose, two mule deer bucks, and two bull elk with about six shots fired. It is light enough to sheep hunt with and still has enough power to handle a brown bear.

A .375 H&H is my Kodiak deer hunting rifle, but not flat enough shooting for where I hunt elk and mule deer.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List