Page 13 of 126 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Grizzly Bear Defense

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    Yes it’s legal to own. However the Canadian customs has been seizing them when people are trying to take them across or importing them. There has been some disagreement over the customs interpretation of what knives are allowed to come into Canada.

When we crossed I told them we were camping and we had two knives and an axe. He didn’t ask to see them.
    Based on my reading of Canucks on knife forums, never ever suggest your knife is for personal defense. (shrug)
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Based on my reading of Canucks on knife forums, never ever suggest your knife is for personal defense. (shrug)
    That's my understanding also.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    Yes it’s legal to own. However the Canadian customs has been seizing them when people are trying to take them across or importing them. There has been some disagreement over the customs interpretation of what knives are allowed to come into Canada.

When we crossed I told them we were camping and we had two knives and an axe. He didn’t ask to see them.
    What's so scary about that particular knife (Spyderco Native)?

The "How to Kill a Bear" segment starts at 1:18 in the video below:

Grizzly imfdb page
    Last edited by BCG; 07-02-2018 at 11:01 AM.

Grizzly Bear Defense

On a hike today with my wife in the Wallowas we encountered a big black bear. He didn’t mess with us, so we got to watch a beautiful animal from a relatively safe distance.

I was carrying my P-07 with 15 rounds of Underhill/Lehigh XP 115gr +p+ and 1 round of HST 147 in the chamber.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 07-05-2018 at 06:23 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Not a bear, but this was interesting-- woman treed by two wolves in Northeast WA. Apparently she use bear spray, to no avail. Maybe the spray didn't hit, but tough with two wolves... A state Department of Natural Resources Helicopter responded and drove the wolves off.

Before being treed, the woman attempted to scare the two wolves, members of the Loup Loup pack, by yelling, waving and spraying bear spray in the animals’ direction. After those attempts were unsuccessful, the woman climbed a tree and called for help around 12:30 p.m.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...-wolves-in-ok/

Wow. I’ve been in that area. I love to see wolves in the wild, but that might be a little closer than necessary.

Interesting about bear spray not working. That mirrors my very mixed results with OC spray on dogs.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Bear Carjacking attempt foiled...

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Wow. I’ve been in that area. I love to see wolves in the wild, but that might be a little closer than necessary.

Interesting about bear spray not working. That mirrors my very mixed results with OC spray on dogs.
    She may well have sprayed without regard to distance, or other factors.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    She may well have sprayed without regard to distance, or other factors.
    Just like self-defense shootings, variables make a difference. I recently read an opinion by someone stating that the .45 wasn’t enough for dogs because he knew of a case where it didn’t work.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

User Tag List