Page 116 of 126 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117118 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,160 of 1259

Thread: Grizzly Bear Defense

The couple and dog mauled and killed by a grizzly bear in the backcountry of Banff National Park late last week did everything right, Parks Canada says.

They had the appropriate permits.

They had bear spray.

They'd hung their food properly.

They were staying in a location where there were no active bear warnings or area closures...
    https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/parks-can...anff-1.6587263

The bear was an underweight 25 year-old female previously unknown to the park (no tracking devices).

The couple messaged family when setting up camp for the night at 5pm. The sos went out around 8pm. Weather-delayed rescuers found them deceased around 1am.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Beautiful there, but you can’t carry a gun. Banff and Jasper are a no go for us.
    Fairly frequent attacks based on the "Bear Attacks" classic book, he studies several chilling accounts of attacks there.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    We have a Garmin Delorme system as well, and it is very size efficient. Unfortunately, what they really needed was a firearm In Reach.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Beautiful there, but you can’t carry a gun. Banff and Jasper are a no go for us.

Walking out the boardwalks to the Liard Hot Springs with only a Randall knife in my day pack, and the notices all over about grizzlies in the area were part of my motivation to build the takedown model 12 Winchester travel/Canada gun. Certainly not optimal if a situation arose, but definitely better than what happened with the bear attack at the Liard Hot Springs in the late 90s when a rogue black bear attacked and killed 2 people and injured two others. It was killed when someone ran the roughly 1/2 mile back to the parking area, found someone with a rifle, they ran back out the boardwalks and shot the bear. One person was killed in that time interval trying to save the lady that was the first victim.

I dont recall or know the current rules about firearms in Jasper and Banff and if a take down shotgun is an issue if in a day pack when out hiking.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Walking out the boardwalks to the Liard Hot Springs with only a Randall knife in my day pack, and the notices all over about grizzlies in the area were part of my motivation to build the takedown model 12 Winchester travel/Canada gun. Certainly not optimal if a situation arose, but definitely better than what happened with the bear attack at the Liard Hot Springs in the late 90s when a rogue black bear attacked and killed 2 people and injured two others. It was killed when someone ran the roughly 1/2 mile back to the parking area, found someone with a rifle, they ran back out the boardwalks and shot the bear. One person was killed in that time interval trying to save the lady that was the first victim.

I dont recall or know the current rules about firearms in Jasper and Banff and if a take down shotgun is an issue if in a day pack when out hiking.
    From what I can tell, firearms of all kinds are forbidden in the parks.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Per the article, "Parks Canada says it's impossible to know what exactly happened leading up to the attack and it does not care to speculate.

"The incident happened in a remote wilderness location and there were no witnesses," Parks Canada said."

Yet. . . they are quick to say, "The couple and dog mauled and killed by a grizzly bear in the backcountry of Banff National Park late last week did everything right, Parks Canada says."

Oooookay then.

Site Supporter
    On the evening of September 30, a sow grizzly bear charged an elk hunter in thick timber near Henry’s Lake, Idaho. According to an Idaho Department of Fish & Game (IDFG) press release issued this morning, the hunter yelled to alert his partner about the charging bruin before firing several shots from his sidearm that killed the bear “only a short distance way, before it was able to make contact.”

https://www.fieldandstream.com/survi...nter-in-idaho/

In Alaska, my wife and I have had many interactions with brown/grizzly bears. Very few interactions progressed to shooting beyond a warning shot. In lower 48, anecdotally, it seems like any interaction with a grizzly is more likely to lead to injury -- human or bear.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Maybe of interest (sorry if not directly related to bear defense).

Bear workout/fitness...
    1: Gorge on raw salmon for one hour.
    ⁣⁣2: Sleep on a beach for two to three hours.
    ⁣⁣3: Repeat.

https://www.federaltimes.com/fedlife...0-e5794efcfa7d

-Rainman

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post

1) I think I've read that thread before but can't find it

2) Would it make sense for their to be a takedown subforum here on PF?

3) I've been on lookout for non collector Model 8/81 or 14/141 for the takedown benefits for travel.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...onal-Park.html

Canada appears to prioritize the life of a bear over that of a human.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List