Page 111 of 126 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113121 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,110 of 1253

Thread: Grizzly Bear Defense

https://www.jhnewsandguide.com/news/...30bd02b6e.html

In the last week, archery hunters and anglers in Idaho and Montana chose to fire their guns, rather than bear spray, when they were charged by grizzly bears. In both cases, the shots killed the bears.

In both cases, state game agencies said the sportsmen shot the bears in self-defense.

Bear advocates met the news with dismay, particularly after a handful of other grizzlies from the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem have been killed for getting into human-related foods, like dog food and trash.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    ...Bear advocates met the news with dismay.....
    Because they would rather you be dead when the wind makes your pathetic bear spray totally ineffective than their sacred bears be harmed for any reason. Bambiest assholes. If limited hunting were once again permitted the attacks would drop too, long term harming fewer bears in the process.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Because they would rather you be dead when the wind makes your pathetic bear spray totally ineffective than their sacred bears be harmed for any reason. Bambiest assholes. If limited hunting were once again permitted the attacks would drop too, long term harming fewer bears in the process.
    I firmly believe the boldness of the bears around now is the lack of any hunting pressure... at least in part. Some hunting would probably put some fear of man back into them.

I had a bit of a giggle at the fellow eating lunch at the Trapper Grill in Grand Teton last weekend... with a giant can of bear spray in a holster on his hip.

I'll stick with a firearm for defense.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2023...r-on-mountain/

Katmai National Park livestream camera helps in rescue of hiker lost on mountain

By Natalie B. Compton, The Washington Post Updated: 6 hours ago Published: 6 hours ago

A view from Dumpling Mountain (NPS Photo/A Ramos)
    On Tuesday afternoon, online viewers tuned into the Dumpling Mountain live camera in Katmai National Park and Preserve, perhaps hoping to catch a glimpse of the park’s famous brown bears. Instead, all they could see was a desolate mountainside shrouded in a thick mist.

So it was a surprise when a soaked hiker entered the frame and paused in front of the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

I have to confess to being more of a wimp now. I used to love that the grizzlies (and wolves, moose, black bears, Mt Lions, etc) were all over, it made it much more interesting. I hiked, camped, often sleeping out on the ground under the stars, spent quite a lot of time out, exploring and kicking about in the hills with the dogs,....and now, since getting messed up, carrying and shooting the big stuff is painful, and the bears becoming more numerous and frisky, it just all seems like a lot more work than I care for just to get out in the hills. The wimpy wildlife in Az seems about my speed any more.

There, I said it.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I have to confess to being more of a wimp now. I used to love that the grizzlies (and wolves, moose, black bears, Mt Lions, etc) were all over, it made it much more interesting. I hiked, camped, often sleeping out on the ground under the stars, spent quite a lot of time out, exploring and kicking about in the hills with the dogs,....and now, since getting messed up, carrying and shooting the big stuff is painful, and the bears becoming more numerous and frisky, it just all seems like a lot more work than I care for just to get out in the hills. The wimpy wildlife in Az seems about my speed any more.

There, I said it.
    Still have bears. Just … smaller. Wasn’t the guy killed a few months ago in Payson or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Still have bears. Just … smaller. Wasn’t the guy killed a few months ago in Payson or something?
    Black bears dont bother me much. Not that they are exactly cuddly, just not quite in the same class as grizzlies.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Yes outside of Prescott on his property he was building a house on.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post

There, I said it.
    There's a lot more stuff that makes it easier these days.

Used to be packing an electric bear fence was a brutally heavy endeavor and out of reach for long backpacking trips.

Now it's just a mild annoyance which is pretty easily outweighed by sleeping a lot easier

User Tag List