Page 101 of 126 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1253

Thread: Grizzly Bear Defense

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The dilemma is how to deploy spray and a firearm. My only half joke is you need a hippie with bear spray in front, leading the hike.
    Same dilemma that LEOs have, with human adversaries, if patrolling alone. I wanted to carry my less-lethal Taser positioned for left-hand use, but the rules required that the Taser be carried (1) cross-draw, (2) on the opposite side of the body from the duty pistol, (3) for strong-hand deployment. I could have argued that I was wearing my duty pistol on my gimpier right side, and that as a left-hander, there was nothing weak about my left hand, but, then, the PD could have responded by scheduling a hearing to determine if I was medically fit for duty. We could, thankfully, carry OC spray at any location, on the belt, that we preferred.

A goal was for one officer to provide lethal cover, while another uses the less-lethal force option. Ideally, a third officer would ready to “go hands,” with handcuffs or other restraints. (I worked for a PD in which patrolling alone was the norm.)

I reckon that your plan for the hippie to lead, with OC spray, would work, while hiking in bear country.

Down here, in swampy SE Texas, it is ‘gators that give us the most scares. I have not read any reports of the efficacy of OC, on reptiles, so, no need to recruit or hire a hippie to carry the less-lethal.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post

Down here, in swampy SE Texas, it is ‘gators that give us the most scares. I have not read any reports of the efficacy of OC, on reptiles, so, no need to recruit or hire a hippie to carry the less-lethal.

#MeatShield
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

All you need is a camera with a large lens .... :^)

The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    At what point if any would this bear get shot? @GJM, @MickAK
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Bear viewing bears are close to humans daily. It would take chewing on someone before bullets would fly.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Bear viewing bears are close to humans daily. It would take chewing on someone before bullets would fly.
    What if that was just a random bear in the field?
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

What if that was just a random bear in the field?
    The point where the bear turns is the moment you need to decide whether it is a bluff charge or the real thing. That point is, often, pretty darn close. If in a remote area, a warning shot earlier might have been helpful.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Ears is up.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    Who knew that Howard Dean developed the perfect defense against brown bears?

The dilemma is how to deploy spray and a firearm. My only half joke is you need a hippie with bear spray in front, leading the hike.
    Ive often thought id like to try devising a way to attach the pepper canister to the stock of the rifle and run a hose with the spray nozzle to the muzzle with some kind of controller by the gun grip, so you could use it yet still have the gun ready.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

User Tag List