Page 10 of 126 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread: Grizzly Bear Defense

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Bears, sharks, and even snakes remind us of our place in the food chain, while also giving us excuses to buy guns we really don’t need.
    I've got the snakes and bears covered I suppose. Now, I am sure I "need" a shark gun of some kind. Go to the 4:57 mark. With the right ammo, it might just work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9pPVwdMFg0
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Bears, sharks, and even snakes remind us of our place in the food chain, while also giving us excuses to buy guns we really don’t need.
    I've often said that makers of big bore revolvers really should provide large donations to organizations that promote maintaining grizzly bear habitat and increasing their populations.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Heh... the last gun I bought (technically yesterday, the first business day after it came off 30-day hold) was a Henry lever in .357 with the brass alloy receiver. Clearly, I’ve gone beyond excuses. I wager that I’m not alone on this.
    I got both of you outdone in terms of, “guns I don’t need”...I find myself regularly gunbrokering for the Martini action spear gun in JAWS. And I’m quite inland now...I’m states away from water.

civiliandefender.com

My vote goes to my DesertTech SRS 338LM with NF NXS 5.5-22X. A 300 grain Scenar @2750 fps behind the shoulder will wreck a bear's day. Minus a suppressor it's a 26" barrel package that is about the size of a M4 with the stock extended.
    Last edited by Sensei; 02-22-2018 at 05:47 PM.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    I got both of you outdone in terms of, “guns I don’t need”...I find myself regularly gunbrokering for the Martini action spear gun in JAWS. And I’m quite inland now...I’m states away from water.
    You must not have seen the documentary “Sharknado.” Sharks can get you just about anywhere.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    You must not have seen the documentary “Sharknado.” Sharks can get you just about anywhere.
    I feel that while awareness of sharks, bears, snakes, and zombies has been raised, most American gunowners are woefully unprepared for the inevitable Robot Uprising.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Hammertime
    I posted the above article on Handgun calibers to Facebook with my same comments.

I have one opinionated, know it all "friend" who lived a decent amount of time in AK, who assures me spray is 100% scientifically proven to be superior to firearms.

I pointed out that spray is a psychological stop for the bear. It has to decide to stop. A properly placed bullet gives the bear no choice.

His response:

" That is actually incorrect. Spray plays to a bear's weakness. Because a bear's olfactory system is more sensitive than a bloodhounds by a multiple of ten, spray actually overwhelmes a bear. Imagine a train horn going off a foot from your head. The sensory overload of spray is profound, and again, I am speaking from experience. Its also why people are not really bothered by spray. A bullet, however, plays to a bear's evolutionary response system. It fires up their adrenaline making for a pissed off, turbo charged bear. Thats how they can fight other bears with massive wounds. Spray...its not just a nasty sensation for a bear. It is an incredibly debilitating pain. A properly sparyed bear aint deciding shit.

According to my expert neighor you cant stop a bear by wounding it. You have to physically overwhelm it with injury. Bears instinctively fight to near death when threatened and certainly when wounded.

Again, I had an educated choice to make in AK. Not just for me, but for our thousands of bike clients in bear country. The science is pretty clear. Spray. If I thought a gun would havr been better I would gladly go that route. However, those inclined to WANT to use a gun find ways to justify it."

I ended the interaction at this point because I think he is full of shit. I am however willing to consider that I may be full of shit. Is bear spray that proven? I imagine most people use spray because it is effective, convenient, requires little training, is lighter than a firearm, does no permanent harm, and avoids defense or life paperwork. It still gives the bear a vote in the matter, however. Not to mention its weakness in various environmental conditions.
    Last edited by Doc_Glock; 02-22-2018 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    I posted the above article on Handgun calibers to Facebook with my same comments.

I have one opinionated, know it all "friend" who lived a decent amount of time in AK, who assures me spray is 100% scientifically proven to be superior to firearms.

I pointed out that spray is a psychological stop for the bear. It has to decide to stop. A properly placed bullet gives the bear no choice.

His response:

" That is actually incorrect. Spray plays to a bear's weakness. Because a bear's olfactory system is more sensitive than a bloodhounds by a multiple of ten, spray actually overwhelmes a bear. Imagine a train horn going off a foot from your head. The sensory overload of spray is profound, and again, I am speaking from experience. Its also why people are not really bothered by spray. A bullet, however, plays to a bear's evolutionary response system. It fires up their adrenaline making for a pissed off, turbo charged bear. Thats how they can fight other bears with massive wounds. Spray...its not just a nasty sensation for a bear. It is an incredibly debilitating pain. A properly sparyed bear aint deciding shit.

According to my expert neighor you cant stop a bear by wounding it. You have to physically overwhelm it with injury. Bears instinctively fight to near death when threatened and certainly when wounded.

Again, I had an educated choice to make in AK. Not just for me, but for our thousands of bike clients in bear country. The science is pretty clear. Spray. If I thought a gun would havr been better I would gladly go that route. However, those inclined to WANT to use a gun find ways to justify it."

I ended the interaction at this point because I think he is full of shit. I am however willing to consider that I may be full of shit. Is bear spray that proven? I imagine most people use spray because it is effective, convenient, requires little training, is lighter than a firearm, does no permanent harm, and avoids defense or life paperwork. It still gives the bear a vote in the matter, however. Not to mention its weakness in various environmental conditions.
    In a double-blind, randomized control trial of spray vs. bullets, the bears preferred spray 70% vs 10% (p = 0.001) with 10% of respondents being undecided, and the rest dying from their wounds prior to determining their preference.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post

His response:

He is filled to the rim with shit.

I evaluated my options (9mm through .44 mag) on the range on the timer before my visit to AK a couple years ago. I carried a .40 and hard bullets.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

For those that are more worried about the 2 legged variety of animals and carrying a 9mm. Is it recommended to carry your normal carry ammo like 147 gr. HSTs with a backup mag of Underwood Lehigh Xtreme, Underwood in the gun with backup mag of HSTs, or are you just stick with one or the other? Or some other solution I didn't think of?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

User Tag List