Page 63 of 126 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113 ... LastLast

Thread: Grizzly Bear Defense

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Copy that. Thanks. I'm still trying to figure out how close you let a "curious" bear get to you or others?

If weather conditions allowed, I would be tempted to use bear spray.
    I don’t think there is a “right” answer for all situations, in terms of how close to allow a bear to approach. In bear viewing areas, sow brown bears not uncommonly “park” their cubs just feet from bear viewers, while they fish for salmon, because they feel the babies are less likely to be bothered by a boar bear. In a part of Alaska where bears don’t commonly see people, I had a sow and two adult cubs approach me from 400 yards across the tundra while I was packing caribou meat, and I fired a warning shot with a rifle at 50 yards. A few summers back, I had a grizzly chase our bird dog from 200 yards, come over a rise see us and skid to a stop at 15 yards. I didn’t fire a warning or stopping shot because the bear clearly realized it was time to beat feet when he saw us. On Kodiak, I had a bear steadily approach me from 200 yards, stop at 15 yards, and then began charging at which point I shot it. Each of these situations was different.

My issue with bear spray is I don’t know how to let the bear get close enough to spray, and still be in a position to use a firearm. If I put someone out in front with spray, they could end up between me and the bear. I think spray is a really good option for someone without a firearm and firearm skill. I would be more inclined to shoot the bear with a rubber slug than use spray, because I can be ready with a Brenneke if the rubber slug doesn’t work.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Copy that. Thanks. I'm still trying to figure out how close you let a "curious" bear get to you or others?

If weather conditions allowed, I would be tempted to use bear spray.
    If you read the comments the guide posted on YouTube there was a sow with cubs close by that was limiting their movements. He also stated that he lent his spray to a fellow guide earlier in the day.

An apparent black bear "predatory" attack ...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a-...?ocid=msedgntp
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

"Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    The other two bears were WTF we’re outta here...
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Cinnamon phase black bear sow. Brass ones on the dogs and the girl.

Honestly, though? This is why I always look out in the yard before I let the dog out. Snakes, bears, lions, coyotes, tweakers, or something else I’m not thinking of could be out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Cinnamon phase black bear sow. Brass ones on the dogs and the girl.

Honestly, though? This is why I always look out in the yard before I let the dog out. Snakes, bears, lions, coyotes, tweakers, or something else I’m not thinking of could be out there.
    Just to be clear I didn't think it was a Grizzly. I couldnt figure where else to put it so I stuck it here.
    So you live in paradise? 😁
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Just to be clear I didn't think it was a Grizzly. I couldnt figure where else to put it so I stuck it here.
    So you live in paradise? 😁

I live on the edge of town, in AZ, near the mountains, so ... yeah, pretty much paradise!

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    Good on the MSN employing blind typists to cover video reviews:

"...The bear suddenly changes course..."

It was heavily pulling left in a bluff charge for the entire, if brief, duration of the video. Dumbass deserved to soil herself but nothing sudden happened there other than someone seeing God for a moment.

User Tag List