Page 105 of 126 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 1253

Thread: Grizzly Bear Defense

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Most of the bear viewing areas lie within Katmai and Lake Clark National Parks, and are under the control of the National Park Service. It has been going on for decades.

https://www.nps.gov/katm/planyourvis...r-watching.htm

I don't believe there has ever been a bear attack on these trips. I am excluding the Timothy Treadwell attack, which wasn't part of a guided visit. The most dangerous part of the trip is certainly the flight getting there.
    GJM:
    Thanks for educating me on the issue.
    Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright
    Owner & chief instructor-SAC Tactical
    E-mail: "info@saconsco.com"

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

"The man awoke to a disturbance between the bear and his sheep at about 1am and fired a rifle at the bear before being attacked, the agency said. The man was bitten on the head and had wounds to an arm and hand, officials said."

"Warning" shot didn't help... I wonder how much light the shepherd had?
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Friend just shared this video with me.

That shit is so irresponsible. It’s hard to believe a guide company will entertain that. It really disappoints me that it’s happening up here. If people do stupid stuff like that - they shouldn’t be aloud to call for rescue from any of our resources, it should all be on the guide service to provide life saving care, and evacuation. There are places to safely view bears, the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center, and spots in Kodiak and Katmai that have elevated platforms and plenty of distance. Insert puke face emoji here.

Site Supporter
    I did find this story that says the Colorado shepherd used a 30-30.

I know those guys tending animals in the national forests don't tend to be well-off. I was wondering if all he had was a .22.

https://www.kjct8.com/2023/07/13/bea...-near-durango/

Site Supporter
    Bear problems in Italy: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...4-andrea-papi/

Introduce bears, then they eat you. Shoot them, send them to Romania - what to do?

Andrea Papi was taking a jog in the woods around the northern Italian town of Caldes when he ran into the unimaginable: a female adult brown bear, known to authorities for its history of violence against humans. It mauled the 26-year-old runner to death.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    I'm always amazed at the seemingly endless supply of people that want to be the next Tim Treadwell. That old saying about fortuitous outcomes keeps coming to mind.
    Suffering insomnia one night a few years back, I came across the audio of his demise on YouTube.

I normally avoid morbid shit like that, but something possessed me to listen.

It did not help my insomnia.

Anyone who thinks hanging with bears looks fun should take a listen.

A resident Alaskan once told Treadwell if he kept it up, he would end up bear scat, to which he replied “It would be my honor.”

Talk about famous last words.

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    Suffering insomnia one night a few years back, I came across the audio of his demise on YouTube.

A resident Alaskan once told Treadwell if he kept it up, he would end up bear scat, to which he replied “It would be my honor.”

When the AK Troopers responded to the site of the attacks, somehow the guy with just a Glock 22 ended up in front with the two with the 12 gauges behind him. Apparently the lead trooper fired a magazine of .40 into the bear, with the two with shotguns unable to fire.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post

The audio of his death online is fake.

Treadwell was a very skilled guy at interacting with bears and understood the risks he took extremely well.

Off a Reddit thread…

To Alaska went bold Timmy Treadwell
    With his gal pal, she thought she was led well
    They set up their camp
    In the cold and the damp
    But the bears didn't care, they were fed well.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

User Tag List