Page 57 of 126 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107 ... LastLast

Thread: Grizzly Bear Defense

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    For sure, the USP .45 is a good choice. But I've tested my somewhat modded G20, and am confident that it is reliable..
    Seems like a missed opportunity, but you do you.
    Ignore Alien Orders

I suspect a long gun will get old on a non-hunting trip with a lot of hiking. If you are basing out of a cabin, and transported there, the long gun left there might be comforting. Whatever handgun that floats your boat, one each for you and your wife, or at the very least a handgun for you and bear spray for her.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

For sure, the USP .45 is a good choice. But I've tested my somewhat modded G20, and am confident that it is reliable. If I took a different handgun it would be a 9mm P-07 with Lehigh XP.

Thanks @MickAK. Yes, we've done quite a bit of hiking in this type of terrain in OR, WA, and CA. We've also covered a lot of rough trails in ID, WY, MT, and AK (Kenai & Hatcher Pass areas). I'd love to hear about your experience at the FS cabins. We have reservations in the first week of June.

We're also planning stops in Sitka and Ketchikan, although not at a cabin. Any info on what's best to do there would be awesome.
    I took the wife to SE last year and rented a boat out of Petersburg and stayed at a few cabins. I took the G19 with Lehigh XPs because I don't spend much time in brown bear country anymore and I got rid of the 10mm stuff. If your G20 is gtg and you have a good chest rig for it that would be ideal. My opinion would be that the long gun would be more of a hassle than an asset, but when a bear is moseying around the cabin and pawing at the food box right outside the door it will make you feel better. Bears do break into cabins on occasion but it takes them awhile and they're noisy about it.

In Sitka, the old WW2 forts on Japonski Island are pretty cool. http://sitkatrailworks.org/fort-rous...-the-causeway/. Technically you need a kayak or boat but I used to get there walking around the riprap of the airport. That's probably technically not allowed but I never was hassled. There are places in town that rent kayaks. There is an emergency shelter up the Harbor Mt. trail that is a cool place to spend the night, but being an emergency shelter it's not able to be reserved. It's a cool hike anyways. http://sitkatrailworks.org/harbor-mo...in-hill-trail/

I don't know if you already have your cabins picked out but if you're still looking the Baranof Lake cabin is amazing. There is a very cool natural hot springs up the trail near the 'town' as well as some nice private baths. It's a very short float plane ride from Sitka in good weather, there are outfitters that can rent you an inflatable. https://www.recreation.gov/camping/campgrounds/233041. Some good cutthroat fishing there too.

In Ketchikan Deer Mountain is a great short hike in good weather, amazing views. Also the only pink Federal Building I have ever seen.

I've been known to travel in brown bear country with no firearm at all, so I might not be the right guy to ask. When I do carry, I use a G20 with Hornady 180grn XTP. Probably not the best bear round, but it functions 100% in my stock pistol and it's better than carrying a rock. For a long gun, I'm a slug fan and I carry a 18" barrel 870 with Brenneke Black Magic slugs. Chest holster for the pistol, slung in front for the shotgun.

Enjoy your time. It seems few people get chomped in S.E. Alaska. They seem to be friendlier and better fed.

I could use some help deciding what gun(s) to bring for an Alaska trip Mrs. CF and I are taking this summer. We will be spending 5 days at a remote forest service cabin in brown bear country, and doing some other things as well. All in the Juneau and Sitka areas.

We will be hiking long distances over very rugged terrain, likely in the rain, so a long gun would be a pain in the ass. However, I'm considering it.

Here are the options:

Glock 20, heavy hardcast loads

Beretta 1301, slugs (how long can shells stay damp/wet?) + handgun

Win 94 Trapper, 44mag 340gr Buffalo bore hardcast (is a wood stocked blue steel gun a good choice for this weather?) + handgun

AK SBR, soft points + handgun

300 BLK pistol, Barnes + handgun

EDIT: pageing @GJM @MickAK and @AKDoug
    I will defer to real lever gun SME's but I've read on the Marlin forum (great helpful bunch there) that if you soak a wood stocked levergun you really need to pull the wood off to get proper drying and prevent warping that will wreck accuracy.
    Years before I read that there I jacked up a Marlin 336 and never realized it. I'd soaked it hunting in the rain, cleaned it rather conventionally, even used a hair dryer on it which I believe compounded my fuck up. Following year it would group for shit vs the year prior. I chalked it up to my struggling vision and ended up selling it off as poorly as I was shooting it. Have seen since I could still shoot a good lever action with irons just fine. So, long story as a vote against the 94. Seems like a lot of vacation hassle if the gun gets wet.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I suspect a long gun will get old on a non-hunting trip with a lot of hiking. If you are basing out of a cabin, and transported there, the long gun left there might be comforting. Whatever handgun that floats your boat, one each for you and your wife, or at the very least a handgun for you and bear spray for her.
    As a dude who doesn’t live in bear country, but has worn the soles off a decent number of hiking boots this is something to consider. I would probably throw the AR pistol in my luggage as the most convient option for travel. It’s small, weather resistant and no .gov forms needed. Once you’re up there you’ll have the option of taking it along on hikes if you want or pulling the bolt and caching it your cabin/camp.

The only possible problem with that could be if you ran into LE who are unfamiliar with pistol brace vs sbr.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    As a dude who doesn’t live in bear country, but has worn the soles off a decent number of hiking boots this is something to consider. I would probably throw the AR pistol in my luggage as the most convient option for travel. It’s small, weather resistant and no .gov forms needed. Once you’re up there you’ll have the option of taking it along on hikes if you want or pulling the bolt and caching it your cabin/camp.

The only possible problem with that could be if you ran into LE who are unfamiliar with pistol brace vs sbr.
    In Alaska, a LE guy would be more likely to say that is cool, show me what you have as I want an AR pistol for my personal use.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Grizzly Bear Defense

Thanks guys. Much appreciated. Handguns + 300BLK pistol, or just handguns, seem like the way to go.

The 110gr Barnes has good reviews on killing pigs and deer. It’s not a slug though...

If we were based somewhere for longer, and had the ability to lock up gear securely, I'd bring the 1301.

I'll post some pics of the trip in 6 months.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 12-02-2020 at 12:22 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    In Alaska, a LE guy would be more likely to say that is cool, show me what you have as I want an AR pistol for my personal use.
    Alaska State Trooper: Do you have any guns with you?
    Lower 48 tourist: No!
    Alaska State Trooper: Why the hell not?
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Alaska State Trooper: Do you have any guns with you?
    Lower 48 tourist: No!
    Alaska State Trooper: Why the hell not?
    Canadian Border Crossings
    im strong, i can run faster than train

User Tag List