Page 23 of 126 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grizzly Bear Defense

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    I found the following quote from the TTAG New Mexico encounter article interesting...

I'm wondering what he felt was lacking, or what other ammo choice would have performed better than the 175gr Hornady Critical Duty in this instance. I understand that isn't a traditional ammo choice, but from everything I've read on PF (or linked from here), it takes a headshot to stop these animals. The article said he made a single headshot, and the result was a dead bear. Would he not have had to make the same headshot with 200gr Underwood or similar, or does that "designed for bear defense" ammo make bears somehow "more dead" than his dead bear? Am I missing something?
    I think the thought process it that a deeper penetrating bullet may have hit something more vital than the CD did. Hitting the head is the preferred method of stopping but as we have seen, it’s not always possible. Hitting the spine or other vital spots may not be optimal but it’s probably better than hollow points.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    I found the following quote from the TTAG New Mexico encounter article interesting...

I'm wondering what he felt was lacking, or what other ammo choice would have performed better than the 175gr Hornady Critical Duty in this instance. I understand that isn't a traditional ammo choice, but from everything I've read on PF (or linked from here), it takes a headshot to stop these animals. The article said he made a single headshot, and the result was a dead bear. Would he not have had to make the same headshot with 200gr Underwood or similar, or does that "designed for bear defense" ammo make bears somehow "more dead" than his dead bear? Am I missing something?
    This was a black bear. The issue is a JHP, may not penetrate the skull, and thus fail to reach the brain.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    I did read that. I was gonna buy at least one of each regardless.

Bigghoss, just curious - if you get both, are you gonna carry both?

This thread is great.

Quote Originally Posted by 11B10 View Post

This thread is great.
    Of course not. I want one of each because I want one of each. Probably two. Maybe three. Possibly four. I can't see myself getting five of each, but never say never.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by 11B10 View Post

This thread is great.

It is. Every thread that mentions bears is great. We are in the golden age. There must be 3 active or recently active threads that are bringing up bears, bear pistols, bear loads. Can't get enough bears.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    It is. Every thread that mentions bears is great. We are in the golden age. There must be 3 active or recently active threads that are bringing up bears, bear pistols, bear loads. Can't get enough bears.
    Not just here:

http://www.supercub.org/forum/showth...ng-in-AK-MT-ID
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Short barreled .454s and .480s!!!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Not knowing real details, as I think about the scenario of the guy who dropped the big griz with 2 shots from a G20, I tried to imagine being in that guy's shoes and it is very hard to visualize exactly what it was like.

My first reaction was, 2 shots hell, there would be 16 empties on the ground if it was me...even if Mr. Bear went down on the second shot. Then my second reaction was nope, I would hit a trigger freeze trying to go too fast long before I ever got to 16 rounds....

That guy did great.

Site Supporter

Grizzly Bears Returned to Endangered Species List

Northwest Wyoming has seen a significant increase in grizzly bear numbers. In 2017, the grizzly was "delisted". As expected, a law suit ensued. A federal district court judge has now reversed the "delisting" decision. As bear numbers increase, so will bear/human interaction. On a practical level, the increased number of grizzly bears has made hunting and recreating in NW Wyoming much more difficult, and dangerous.

https://www.npr.org/2018/09/24/65133...ngered-species

A federal judge has restored Endangered Species Act protections for grizzly bears living around Yellowstone National Park.

In his ruling, U.S. District Court Judge Dana Christensen said the federal government didn't use the best available science when it removed the bears from the threatened-species list last year.

Monday's ruling puts a stop to proposed grizzly hunts in Wyoming and Idaho, which were on hold while Christensen mulled his decision.

"I'm feeling relieved," said Matthew Bishop, an environmental attorney representing WildEarth Guardians.

He helped represent tribes and conservation groups in a lawsuit filed after the grizzly bears were delisted in 2017. Bishop argued the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service couldn't delist the animals in one isolated spot without considering the impact on threatened grizzly bears living in other places in the Lower 48 states.

"When you commit to recovering a species in the Lower 48 you should do that," Bishop said.

Christensen agreed. In his decision, he said grizzly bears don't roam everywhere in the West like they used to. Instead they live in isolated pockets, and the federal regulators can't delist those isolated pockets until the grizzly populations start connecting together.

"The Service cannot abuse its power to delist an already-protected species by 'balkanization," Christensen wrote."

Prior to the ruling, wildlife agencies in Wyoming and Idaho planned to let hunters kill up to 23 grizzlies during its first hunting season for the bears in three decades. It was set to begin on September 1 before Christensen granted a temporary restraining order on August 30.

Many ranchers near the nation's oldest national park lauded the hunt.

"There are people that encounter grizzly bears as part of their daily lives," attorney Cody Wisniewski said at an earlier hearing.

He represented Wyoming ranchers and farmers in the case and said his clients liked having the states in charge.

"Their goal is just to have local management. To be able to go to their local representatives, their elected officials, the people that live in and beside them in their state in order to resolve any disputes," he said.

According to Montana Public Radio, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service spokesperson Jennifer Strickland said the federal government will "work with the state and tribes to ensure that this transition proceeds in accordance with the court's order."

Bishop, who represents WildEarth Guardians, noted the federal government could appeal the decision, which could also impact the proposed delisting of grizzly bears living in the Northern Continental Divide Ecosystem near Montana's Glacier National Park.

This story was produced by the Mountain West News Bureau, a collaboration between Wyoming Public Media, Boise State Public Radio in Idaho, Yellowstone Public Radio in Montana, KUER in Salt Lake City and KRCC and KUNC in Colorado.

This, like many things, has become a political football, and the emotions take over when logic should prevail.

People that spend significant time in the mountains all say the official numbers are low, by about half according to many. Bears (grizzlies) are basically at full capacity for the available country they can live in in the yellowstone ecosystem, and younger bears are regularly turning up 20-40 miles or more away from the mts, because they have nowhere to live. Bears are territorial by necessity, and they wont give a kind pat on the back and a "welcome to the neighborhood" to any young bears that want to move into an established territory. It doesnt work like that.

Not wishing to confuse an emotional issue with facts, many feel they are helping the bears by trying to eliminate any hunting. I believe that some hunting will make bears more wary of humans, and lessen the chances of bear/human conflicts over time. This is impossible for some to get their head around, but is true. Theres more bears right now than the country can handle over long term, though they continue to characterize it as a threat to their survival if some are hunted. More bears will be killed in conflicts than are hunted if this continues the way it is, as will more people be in danger when not even desiring to have contact with bears.

User Tag List