Page 73 of 76 FirstFirst ... 23637172737475 ... LastLast

Thread: Grizzly Bear Defense

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I have been unsuccessful in getting Mrs. CF to carry a firearm in bear and cougar country, despite our several exciting close encounters. She was toting bear spray, but we started counting the days when wind conditions made spray a poor choice, and it was a lot. So she will now be carrying an air horn, and I’ll be working on her comfort and skill with firearms.
    Wind conditions have not been a consideration of mine but I will start considering in the risk evaluation.

Myself and my crews work for a federal land management agency. There would be no way for them per policy to carry a firearm. I will not comment on whether or not I carry a firearm.

SABRE Frontiersman Bear Horn
    https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B06XSNLWSR/
    "BJJ is sort of like nonconsensual yoga"
    "You don’t really graduate from certain problems or certain things… like you always have to work on trigger control and pulling the trigger straight. " --Ben Stoeger 1/24/2018

Heck, it is not just the bears you have to beware of, even darn river otters:

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/wild...-for-culprits/
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/wild...-for-culprits/
    Obligatory

Name:  lOtters.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  71.1 KB

So what's the recommended defensive weapon and load for these micro-grizzlies?

Quote Originally Posted by flyrodr View Post
    So what's the recommended defensive weapon and load for these micro-grizzlies?
    Look at the picture of the Fish and Game guys in the article — 12 gauge!

Look at the picture of the Fish and Game guys in the article — 12 gauge!
    Decades ago (used to be a fisheries biologist), we had set some nets in a river as part of some population studies, and unintentionally drowned an otter. Having never held one, I was amazed at the size, and, moreso, the weight. They are not small, are solid muscle, and have grizzly-like teeth (well, yes, to scale, but they're clearly not designed for eating salads). I'd hate to have to rely on a .22 pistol with the first couple of rounds being snake shot, which is what I was carrying.

Wow. A lot of lessons in that one.
    "BJJ is sort of like nonconsensual yoga"
    "You don’t really graduate from certain problems or certain things… like you always have to work on trigger control and pulling the trigger straight. " --Ben Stoeger 1/24/2018

Not super familiar with big hip iron but caliber and shroud suggest Taurus. I wonder if he was using a rifle of equal "quality"

User Tag List