Page 47 of 126 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797 ... LastLast

Thread: Grizzly Bear Defense

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

Great read. Speaks to a point you've made before regarding capacity for the bear country firearm.

Quick thinking and a fighting spirit there.

He was wise to shoot and assess vs thinking he needed go cyclic with a small caliber. As fast as the bear moved, he could have fired before assessment revealed he was shooting his friend.
    Last edited by JHC; 10-08-2019 at 11:55 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Something, something, file down the front sight.

Site Supporter

Is this an example of a mellow bear or is it just waiting?

Quote Originally Posted by wrmettler View Post

Is this an example of a mellow bear or is it just waiting?
    I'm looking forward the "after they turn around" photo.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I found this article especially interesting, because this bear attack reinforced many of the concepts we have been discussing for years.

1) the attack came quickly from close.

2) once the attack went bear on person, a handgun was much easier to deploy than a long gun.

3) the shot that stopped the attack was a FMJ 9mm to the bear’s hind quarter, again showing that bears don’t like to be shot, and it is not always necessary to kill a bear to stop an attack.

4) firearm accessibility and reliability trumped bullet performance. A 9mm on your person beats a long gun against a nearby tree.

5) warning shots stopped subsequent attacks.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    https://www.ammoland.com/2019/10/ala...#axzz62990seqD

Read more: https://www.ammoland.com/2019/10/ala...#ixzz629Cdu2TR
    Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
    Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook

Jimmy is in the lead, about five feet ahead of Tony. He has time for a startled “F*ck Bear!” as he draws the Glock from the Serpa. He has trained and practiced. The draw is smooth and fast from a retention holster. As the bear bounds over the downed spruce, Jimmy double taps, two shots, one to the chest, one to the head. The bear crashes down, 10 feet from Jimmy, dead right there (DRT). It is over in a couple of seconds.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post
    https://www.ammoland.com/2019/10/ala...#axzz62990seqD

Jimmy is in the lead, about five feet ahead of Tony. He has time for a startled “F*ck Bear!” as he draws the Glock from the Serpa. He has trained and practiced. The draw is smooth and fast from a retention holster. As the bear bounds over the downed spruce, Jimmy double taps, two shots, one to the chest, one to the head. The bear crashes down, 10 feet from Jimmy, dead right there (DRT). It is over in a couple of seconds.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Is it wrong that when I read “Serpa” I expected the story to end with the bear running away after the dude shot himself in the leg?

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Is it wrong that when I read “Serpa” I expected the story to end with the bear running away after the dude shot himself in the leg?
    I kinda expected that too.

#ALSMasterRace
    Last edited by Bigghoss; 10-13-2019 at 03:28 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Awesome. That’s the sort of data I was looking for in weighing 9mm vs 10mm for grizzly defense. A successful stop with a body shot makes the 10mm look worth the extra size and weight to carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Awesome. That’s the sort of data I was looking for in weighing 9mm vs 10mm for grizzly defense. A successful stop with a body shot makes the 10mm look worth the extra size and weight to carry.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List