Page 83 of 126 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast

Thread: Grizzly Bear Defense

I just watched a video of a guy shooting .40 hardcast (Grizzly ammo) through upwards of 11 jugs of water. That seems like a lot of penetration. If penetration is the key, does it really matter if you are shooting 9mm, .40, .45 or 10mm just as long as you get deep penetration?
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    You guys are gonna get me to pull the USPc .40 out of the safe....
    Let us know how it goes. Not a Compact, but I have a few USP FS .40 pistols, and have seen some stoppages with flat profile bullets. Not observed that with the USP FS 9/45.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    I just watched a video of a guy shooting .40 hardcast (Grizzly ammo) through upwards of 11 jugs of water. That seems like a lot of penetration. If penetration is the key, does it really matter if you are shooting 9mm, .40, .45 or 10mm just as long as you get deep penetration?
    I don't think it matters much as long as your gun is reliable with that ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    My opinion is it becomes a moral issue if you're spending enough time in bear country being quiet and dragging around bloody game.

There's no replacement for displacement. The deeper penetrating loads and calibers are more likely to result in a bear that crawls off in the brush and dies vs. crawls off in the brush and suffers and possibly jumps the people sent in to euthanize it.

Otherwise I don't think it's likely to make much of a difference if a bear breaks off a charge or not. It will make a difference if the pistol malfunctions, or you drop it, or you can't hit the broad side of a barn with it.

I switch to Lehigh penetrators for moral reasons. I don't actually think they're going to turn a bear better than Gold Dots. But they're more likely to kill one, even if it takes a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post
    My opinion is it becomes a moral issue if you're spending enough time in bear country being quiet and dragging around bloody game.

There's no replacement for displacement. The deeper penetrating loads and calibers are more likely to result in a bear that crawls off in the brush and dies vs. crawls off in the brush and suffers and possibly jumps the people sent in to euthanize it.

Otherwise I don't think it's likely to make much of a difference if a bear breaks off a charge or not. It will make a difference if the pistol malfunctions, or you drop it, or you can't hit the broad side of a barn with it.

I switch to Lehigh penetrators for moral reasons. I don't actually think they're going to turn a bear better than Gold Dots. But they're more likely to kill one, even if it takes a minute.
    Frankly, if the bear comes and I don't have a long gun in my hands, I have already screwed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    They are poly coated SWCs and they feed extremely well. I have run a little over 500 of them so far through the gun. It has been my experience the .40 cal Glocks (Gen 3) have never really been noted for their accuracy, but maybe its just this grain weight, or this individual projectile. Whatever it is, the load (out of this Gen 3 gun) seems to produce pretty good groups.

I just sent some ammo down to a guy who is going to shoot some into some 20% gel for me to see how they do. I am curious to see the results myself.
    Hopefully he has several blocks of gel to line up. I have a feeling it will penetrate pretty far. Is he using clear gel or the real stuff?
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

@GJM I know you were testing them, did you finally come to conclude the Underwood loaded 140gr solid copper 40S&W Leheigh's were trustworthy and reliable in the gen 5 Glock 40's?

My tests of the Underwood cast coated .40 200gr loads proved they were not. I know you have cited their 9mm loadings of the penetrator bullets to be reliable. I found that as well, and the .357Sig loading of the penetrators by Underwood have been perfect in my G32 and were perfect in my old USP compact after a substantial test quantity.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    @GJM I know you were testing them, did you finally come to conclude the Underwood loaded 140gr solid copper 40S&W Leheigh's were trustworthy and reliable in the gen 5 Glock 40's?

My tests of the Underwood cast coated .40 200gr loads proved they were not. I know you have cited their 9mm loadings of the penetrator bullets to be reliable. I found that as well, and the .357Sig loading of the penetrators by Underwood have been perfect in my G32 and were perfect in my old USP compact after a substantial test quantity.
    Based on shooting hundreds not thousands in G5 23 uppers, I would say yes. Some years ago I tried, and was ultimately unsuccessful, in getting hard cast to run in my G4 22 pistols. Even with KKM barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Frankly, if the bear comes and I don't have a long gun in my hands, I have already screwed up.
    Well, that's true. If and when I get to go to Alaska, I will certainly have a rifle in hand on some hunting trip. A pistol would be a back up if not superfluous.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Montana trip is going well so far. We saw a bear, but it wasn’t interested in us.

G20.4 AIWB is working well as a trail gun.

Mrs CF is packing bear spray and an air horn.

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List