Page 91 of 126 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101 ... LastLast

Thread: Grizzly Bear Defense

Site Supporter
    I know we teach de-escalation with human interactions. Is there evidence that speaking calmly to the bear - It's OK, Good Bear, Hey bear etc. - is better than yelling at the bear in a loud voice? Some vocalizations to alert the bear to your presence is different from when the bear is stalking you. SME opinion on that?

This guy needs the Glock with the Iphone attached that someone posted in the memes, IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    When I've read survivor's accounts of predatory black bear attacks, they've tended to sound like what I see here. A black bear casually following or shadowing their movement laterally until it works up the gumption to see if it cannot eat this slow juicy human. Like why sprint charge something so dang slow?
    Spooky how casual that bear is in the video. Almost playful and curious until he potentially decides it's go time. My few chance encounters with them hunting have been their butts running away one way and mine going the other as it should be. This thread has convinced me that bear spray needs to be in my kit.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    When I've read survivor's accounts of predatory black bear attacks, they've tended to sound like what I see here. A black bear casually following or shadowing their movement laterally until it works up the gumption to see if it cannot eat this slow juicy human. Like why sprint charge something so dang slow?
    Spot on. Fuck that behavior completely and totally. That was a hungry, curious predator. I'd guess the talking did nothing except make the bear feel safe approaching the guy, and know exactly where he was. Good to see the OC spray work so easily. It could have gone bad fast.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

My 2 encounters with coastal NC bears this year have went eerily similar to the video. Except my first encounter I had places to be so after just a minute or so of trying to coax the bear to move on, I gave warning shot into the dirt. Even then it only ran off about 100 yards and proceeded to follow along at that distance.

The second time and possibly the same bear, it followed me for several hundred yards. It was dusk and getting darker so I kept a light on it till I gained refuge in the camper.

Both times I experienced several slow false charges. Both times I had my GP100 .44 Special in hand, no pepper spray for me. The winds that are constantly present on the coast would have only made me spicy for the bear.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I know we teach de-escalation with human interactions. Is there evidence that speaking calmly to the bear - It's OK, Good Bear, Hey bear etc. - is better than yelling at the bear in a loud voice? Some vocalizations to alert the bear to your presence is different from when the bear is stalking you. SME opinion on that?

This guy needs the Glock with the Iphone attached that someone posted in the memes, IIRC.
    I’m not an SME on bears, but I’m pretty sure that making sure you look like a pissed off animal that isn’t food doesn’t include talking to it like you’re trying to calm a stray dog or cat. Animals know things.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Spot on. Fuck that behavior completely and totally. That was a hungry, curious predator. I'd guess the talking did nothing except make the bear feel safe approaching the guy, and know exactly where he was. Good to see the OC spray work so easily. It could have gone bad fast.
    That "manly" voice of his was just empowering that young bear and the longer that encounter lasted, the more advantageous it was getting for the bear. I think it was pure luck that the wind was almost always in his favor and it might not have ended well if this encounter had involved a mature bear.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    That video prompts me to ask: do we have bear attacks/maulings captured on the maulee's own camera? I assume this dude ha nothing better to fill his off hand with besides a camera, but dang!
    There was a post some time ago (maybe in this thread) showing a picture of a black bear following the guy who took the picture. The bear killed him a couple of minutes later. Bears are cuddly right?

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2022...sk-ox-in-nome/

An employee of Alaska’s Department of Public Safety was killed Tuesday on his property in Nome during an encounter with a musk ox.

Court Services Officer Curtis Worland was trying to clear a group of musk oxen away from a dog kennel at his home in the Western Alaska hub town when one of the animals attacked him, according to the Department of Public Safety.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Watched Dr. Oakley show last night where she was checking out a baby Musk ox and the momma just watched. However, they were in a preserve and supposedly acclimated a bit to people. On other episodes she mentions how dangerous they are.

She got a new dart gun and was pleased with it. Said she wanted to sling it and wear it into the supermarket. This show was from a few years back, so probably won't say that know. In the older show, hubby went out with daughters and pointed out he was taking a gun as there were bears around. Probably wouldn't say that today. He and one kid took a moose, don't mention it on the show.

User Tag List