Page 66 of 126 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876116 ... LastLast

Thread: Grizzly Bear Defense

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I can't help wondering if my recent black bear encounter might have had predatory intent. Why else would a bear sneak up behind me to 10'? Looking for a handout is an obvious reason, but at a very remote location that seems less likely.
    If you were near a FS cabin most of those get bear checked daily because people leave good stuff like fish guts and crab innards around.

He was probably just making his daily rounds. He may have been trying to motivate you to quit lollygagging over coffee and go catch him a fish.

I just asked my daughter if she hiked that trail when she was in Palmer for an internship for the borough. She had not hiked it but thought she had considered it. She said bears were a big fear for her when hiking.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post
    If you were near a FS cabin most of those get bear checked daily because people leave good stuff like fish guts and crab innards around.

He was probably just making his daily rounds. He may have been trying to motivate you to quit lollygagging over coffee and go catch him a fish.
    Yep, he probably thought check out time was 11am, and wondered why they were still around.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Well, hanging food, on a line tied between two trees, does two things. It makes it difficult for bears to get that food. And, it teaches bears that humans hang food between trees. Folks, uh, what is a hammock?
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Well, hanging food, on a line tied between two trees, does two things. It makes it difficult for bears to get that food. And, it teaches bears that humans hang food between trees. Folks, uh, what is a hammock?
    I have had this very thought while lying in a hammock and looking up at my bear bag. It did not make for a very restful night.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post

Sitka hike. Lots of brown bear sign.

Prefer the Glock over the P-07 when hiking?

Edit- NM, saw it was a Glock 20.
    Last edited by TheNewbie; 06-20-2021 at 08:59 PM.

Yeah, the only reason for the Glock was to carry 10mm hardcast for brown bear defense. In general, I prefer a P-07 for backcountry use, and my main carry gun has quite a bit of surface wear from that.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Prefer the Glock over the P-07 when hiking?

Edit- NM, saw it was a Glock 20.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    As of last night, I'm down to just one .40 cal launcher. USP FS. It is an early one with lands and grooves. May have to try some hardcast.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post

A piñata for bears!

User Tag List