Page 76 of 126 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886 ... LastLast

Thread: Grizzly Bear Defense

This thread has gone on long enough, I can't recall whether we have discussed it, but bolt action rifles optimized for hunting, especially at long range, can be different from bolt actions optimized for fighting. Leaving aside unpleasant recoil in heavier calibers, I would like to think my hunting rifle would hold up to a day's use in a Randy Cain rifle class.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    This thread has gone on long enough, I can't recall whether we have discussed it, but bolt action rifles optimized for hunting, especially at long range, can be different from bolt actions optimized for fighting. Leaving aside unpleasant recoil in heavier calibers, I would like to think my hunting rifle would hold up to a day's use in a Randy Cain rifle class.
    I would be very interested in a continuing discussion along this line of thought. I want a .35 Whelen bolt gun one day, and I want it to not be in the style of a PRS-chassis-gun or anything else long range optimized.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    I would be very interested in a continuing discussion along this line of thought. I want a .35 Whelen bolt gun one day, and I want it to not be in the style of a PRS-chassis-gun or anything else long range optimized.
    I have a model 70 based 338-.06 that I have just many moose and caribou with. Five down rounds and would easily get through a Randy Cain class. When I started hunting elk every year, I went to a flatter shooting cartridge.

I live in the southeast, where ranges are short, and I'm very curious about combining full-power handload Whelen with .357 Magnum pistol bullets and Trail Boss, to go from little critters to big ones with a throw of the bolt.

Elk seem as though they must be delicious, but I'd be more likely to bust hogs, deer, and nutria.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    I live in the southeast, where ranges are short, and I'm very curious about combining full-power handload Whelen with .357 Magnum pistol bullets and Trail Boss, to go from little critters to big ones with a throw of the bolt.

Elk seem as though they must be delicious, but I'd be more likely to bust hogs, deer, and nutria.
    Bull Wilson loves the Whelen round and has shot up half of Africa with it.

Recoil has become more of an issue to me since getting injured. Ive started messing with rifles in the mid-20s calibers a bit, somewhat along the lines of the old man gun of handguns. Realizing that my (future) time out in the hills in Az, black bears or possibly wild boar being the largest field problems Id likely encounter for a walk around and general purpose gun and adequate for hunting anything id pursue there, a true grizzly class gun wasnt really needed. 260 was the goal, but a bum 260 barrel ended up becoming a 6mm project, which led to acquiring a 243. Its the same action as my old 338 and 35 Whelen, an older Ruger tang safety 77. Im not sure id call a 243 or 260 a bear gun, but with premium grade bullets should be a step up from handguns or 556.

Back in the olden days, before The Great Plague, every walmart and farm and ranch supply place had 243 ammo, which is a plus for a general purpose gun. A 260 is probably a better general purpose rifle without too much recoil, but the 243 isnt a project to make work and the entire gun cost about what a 260 barrel replacement would. One day perhaps though the 260 will happen.
    Last edited by Malamute; 03-26-2022 at 08:43 PM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

"Since 2010, grizzlies in the Yellowstone region have killed at least eight people."

The Absaroka's is no place to be piddling around the back country unarmed or unaware, especially going solo. Sounds like this guy was experienced in the outdoors but without details we don't know the circumstances, unarmed? bear spray? Guess we will never know the details of the encounter. Sad to read about his family.

More info, apparently antler shed gathering:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ar-attack.html

User Tag List