Page 42 of 126 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292 ... LastLast

Thread: Grizzly Bear Defense

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    I think I already know the answer but I'll ask to be sure since y'all know more about this than I do. How would 7.62x39 work for outdoors defense in areas where there aren't brown bears? Mostly blackies and cougars around here. On that same note, what about .300 blackout?
    I used to work and hunt where there were plenty of cougars in the Cascades. Never saw one but a mountain biker was killed by one not far from here about a year ago. The fact is you just hardly ever see them.

Just about any pistol cartridge will work to kill a cougar. I used to carry a 357 revolver when I could. Employers policy was no firearms so I carried a machete. Kept a razor edge on it too. I hate hiking in the mountains around here unarmed. Actually I hate going anywhere around here unarmed.
    Last edited by Borderland; 08-08-2019 at 11:58 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I used to work and hunt where there were plenty of cougars in the Cascades. Never saw one but a mountain biker was killed by one not far from here about a year ago. The fact is you just hardly ever see them.
    I used to live in East Oregon, spent a lot of time in the Blue Mountains. Plus all the time I've been outdoors since I moved away. One time someone in our group who was in a campsite on the edge of the campground saw a cougar leaving the area. Never seen one myself. I've seen two black bears in the wild, both young, and both hauled ass as soon as they were aware of my presence. I seriously doubt I'll ever need to shoot anything out there but there also isn't much reason not to take a long gun with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    I did a quick google search of “killed a bear with a knife”. I thought I would find mostly stories of mountain men and settlers, but instead there were a surprising number of links to recent incidents. Enough, that it seems a knife that’s easily accessible to both hands is as viable a back up weapon in the woods as it is in city.

Here’s another good one:

https://shouldersofgiants.com/2016/0...te-bear-story/
    That is incredible. What a story and what a fighter!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Grizzly Bear Defense

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Attacked in the tent. That is grim, especially with no firearms allowed. I think I’d want a tomahawk, axe, or ?
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 08-14-2019 at 08:27 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Attacked in the tent. That is grim, especially with no firearms allowed. I think I’d want a tomahawk, axe, or ?
    Agreed. If nothing else this drives home the importance of having a knife on your person at all times in the wild.

Knife, yes, but it wouldnt take long to put a model 12 together.

^ Geeze, hell of a way to go out.

I just barely caught a chunk of a news story yesterday morning but they were talking about a town considering a bill to require (black) bear proof trashcans. I think it was either parts of Colorado springs or Manitou Springs, might have been some other place altogether. (I'm in Pueblo so the stations are based in CO springs) I know the parts of CO springs that butt up against the mountains have had a lot of trouble with black bears.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List