Page 53 of 126 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast

Thread: Grizzly Bear Defense

Mama came to protect her cub, who was balling.

https://www.explorebigsky.com/video-...oth-pass/34848
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Read some of the other articles while I was on that site including the Memorial day grizz attack on the mountain biker near Big Sky. It seems very clear the bear population pressure and lack of any hunt on the horizon will keep them spreading out. When I was out last summer some of the locals were citing grizz appearances in the Bighorn basin, and speculating that they will eventually cross the plain and take up residence in the Big Horns again like the wolves have.

The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Alaska fatal:

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2020...-in-hope-area/

Snippet:

A man died in a bear attack Wednesday night that occurred off a trail near his property in the Hope area on the Kenai Peninsula, officials said Thursday.

Alaska State Troopers were notified at 10:07 p.m. of the mauling, the agency said in a report early Thursday.

The man had been clearing a trail on Chugach National Forest land about a mile behind his property off Mile 8 of the Hope Highway, troopers said. The property is near the 19th-century mining town of Sunrise City, with a population of 12.

“His wife became concerned when he was overdue, and their dog, which had been with him, returned home alone,” troopers said.

Friend of mine mauled on Kodiak. He's not a gun guy, but did use pepper spray. He's lived on the rock for 5 decades, I don't judge him. Sounds like he's going to be o.k.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2020...ack-in-kodiak/

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Friend of mine mauled on Kodiak. He's not a gun guy, but did use pepper spray. He's lived on the rock for 5 decades, I don't judge him. Sounds like he's going to be o.k.

I think one of the most mature and unselfish decisions a person can make is to decide that a firearm doesn't have a place in their life, understand the risks, and choose to not carry. Very different from thinking no one should carry or own one.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post

I don't know that a gun would have helped there, other than identifying which bear it was when they went to look for it. Getting pounced on out the berry bushes while jogging up Pillar isn't an easy position to draw from. Sounds like a tough son of a bitch if he's still jogging up Pillar at 71, hope he pulls through.

Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post
    I don't know that a gun would have helped there, other than identifying which bear it was when they went to look for it. Getting pounced on out the berry bushes while jogging up Pillar isn't an easy position to draw from. Sounds like a tough son of a bitch if he's still jogging up Pillar at 71, hope he pulls through.
    Don is a tough S.O.B. He's an avid outdoorsman and back country skier.

Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post
    This is a case where two armed and skilled people is a real advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    This is a case where two armed and skilled people is a real advantage.
    Definitely. There's no amount of situational awareness and skill that makes up for another tuned up person watching your back. Applying a tourniquet if necessary. Just being able to call for help.

I can jog pretty good with a chest rig but I would be puffing too hard at the top of that trail to really be paying attention to a rustling in the bushes. Especially that time of year. Been a big humpy year, surprised all the bears aren't down fattening up.

User Tag List