Page 72 of 126 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482122 ... LastLast

Thread: Grizzly Bear Defense

Excellent search and rescue capabilities in Alaska!

https://www.alaskasnewssource.com/20...national-park/
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

Good to hear about the InReach use. We always have ours.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

So I don't have grizz in my area but it turns out there are moose around. What hardware and strategies would be good if I were unlucky enough to be facing one?
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

Yessir! PJ’s are my favorite group of people and who I’d want coming to save me if I was in peril.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    So I don't have grizz in my area but it turns out there are moose around. What hardware and strategies would be good if I were unlucky enough to be facing one?

Well...”Goof Gas” won’t work. Lol

I got nothing else up my sleeve. Sorry.🤷
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

With the one moose I ran into that was pretty pissed off I was in his space, I managed to just slowly back away until I could get around him. Had a 405gr hardcast from a .45-70 ready to give him the good news though.

As with anything else, being aware of your surroundings is more important than what tools you have.

Running headlong into a mamma moose and earning a double-jointed stomping is definitely on my "things to avoid" list. But my understanding (not from experience) is that while very large, moose aren't that hard to take down. I don't feel uncomfortable tromping around moose country with a service caliber pistol with gold dots, HST, or hardcast and a can of bear spray.

Site Supporter
    Myself and my crews do fieldwork in Moose and Bear country. We have had negative encounters with cougars, two-legged, and moose. They all carry the 10 oz Bear Spray with them. No deployments yet.

My logic is that works with anyone with mucus membranes but I am would be happy to be better educated.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I was gobsmacked to read that biologist expert say there's no validity to these animals learning to fear someone that may kill them. That's the most common thing you can see around wildlife. Here in our neighborhood, the deer and squirrels behave nothing like they do in areas we hunt them. WTF?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    Myself and my crews do fieldwork in Moose and Bear country. We have had negative encounters with cougars, two-legged, and moose. They all carry the 10 oz Bear Spray with them. No deployments yet.

My logic is that works with anyone with mucus membranes but I am would be happy to be better educated.
    I have been unsuccessful in getting Mrs. CF to carry a firearm in bear and cougar country, despite our several exciting close encounters. She was toting bear spray, but we started counting the days when wind conditions made spray a poor choice, and it was a lot. So she will now be carrying an air horn, and I’ll be working on her comfort and skill with firearms.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List