Page 65 of 126 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775115 ... LastLast

Thread: Grizzly Bear Defense

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    You only need to say that to libtards.
    The pay scale for my profession does suck here, but the other benefits are why I stay.

Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post
    Chest rig draw stroke is definitely different and I'm not surprised you're faster from the position you're used to. It's a weird angled sort of index otherwise you go all crazy waving inflatable arm tube man at the car dealership with it. I like to do a lot of bushwhacking.

Sitka hike. Lots of brown bear sign.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Mrs. CF and I are back in civilization after 4 days at a remote cabin in SE Alaska. I carried my 1301 for hikes/bushwhacking expeditions. We saw bear sign but no bears—until this morning. I was outside the cabin drinking coffee and checking the InReach. Something made me look around, and I saw a black bear was very close behind me. I yelled “get the fuck out of here!” and drew my Glock 20. The bear did leave, but took its time.

Side notes: my Safariland ALS holster got soaked in the rain, and the lining softened. I found that no matter how I adjusted the release screw, it was possible to overinsert the gun, causing a locked condition that was difficult to remedy. I will probably switch to a non-retention holster.

My Kenai chest holster did not get used at all. It’s simply too inconvenient.
    Try and get a new 7TS Holster, or better yet a GLS. They don’t have a liner, and can get as wet as you want with no ill effects. I like the GLS for “bushwhacking” as it’s still locked in the holster, but draws as fast as a non retention holster.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    "around 1:30 a.m. Tuesday that the woman had contacted her husband asking for help. According to the dispatch report, the woman told her husband she had been charged by multiple bears"

Are bears more active at "night"/twilight? Multiple bears does not sound good at all. Speculating, but maybe a predatory attack?

I can't help wondering if my recent black bear encounter might have had predatory intent. Why else would a bear sneak up behind me to 10'? Looking for a handout is an obvious reason, but at a very remote location that seems less likely.

Quote Originally Posted by msstate56 View Post
    Try and get a new 7TS Holster, or better yet a GLS. They don’t have a liner, and can get as wet as you want with no ill effects. I like the GLS for “bushwhacking” as it’s still locked in the holster, but draws as fast as a non retention holster.
    I solved my ALS problem with an Oregon Trail Defense Nubmod.

Name:  xALS_480x480.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  14.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Same case....???
    All's well....
    https://www.alaskasnewssource.com/20...-palmer-hiker/
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    That’s a happy ending. Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    Great news. Seems like hiking in bear country should have a similar rule to never swimming alone. You should have someone else along.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    Great news. Seems like hiking in bear country should have a similar rule to never swimming alone. You should have someone else along.
    I see this at our remote cabin. A grizzly bear shows up and everyone is armed to the teeth for a few days when out and about. With each day that passes, you see less hardware, and after a few weeks people are carrying whatever their standard load out is.

Always hiking with others sounds great, until someone really wants to hike and doesn’t have a pal to accompany them. The odds are pretty good until they aren’t.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List