Page 49 of 126 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast

Thread: Grizzly Bear Defense

https://mtstandard.com/news/state-an...ffe291b65.html

Montana hunter reports shooting grizzly bear in self-defense

BUTTE — A hunter shot a grizzly bear in self-defense in Eureka Basin in the south Gravelly Mountains Saturday, according to Fish, Wildlife and Parks.

Morgan Jacobsen, FWP information and education program manager for Region 3, said he could not release the name of the hunter because the hunter requested privacy.

The hunter was not injured. The hunter reported the incident the same day, according to FWP.

Jacobsen said FWP is investigating the issue along with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Grizzly bears are threatened under the Endangered Species Act.

The two agencies are also looking into two grizzly bear deaths caused by humans that happened last week in the West Yellowstone area.

There have been repeated reports of grizzly bear activities in the Gravelly Mountains this fall. Three hunters were attacked in two separate incidents in the western Gravellies in September. The U.S. Forest Service shut down several trails in the Teepee Creek and Lobo Mesa areas of the Gravellies due to a high number of grizzly bears in August.

The U.S. Forest Service reopened the trails last month, said Leona Roderick, Beaverhead-Deerlodge National Forest spokesperson.

Jacobsen said Saturday’s grizzly bear encounter was several miles south of where the trail closure was and south of the bear attacks last month.

“This illustrates the Gravelly are very much occupied grizzly habitat and a lot of bear activity is happening there,” Jacobsen said.

FWP says grizzly bears have expanded their range into western and central Montana and can remain active through December. Some will roam for brief periods during winter months.

As bears prepare for hibernation, hunter activity — such as wearing animal scents, elk bugling, processing animal carcasses and moving quietly in the forest — can increase the likelihood of bear encounters.

Some grizzlies have learned to associate gunshots with a gut pile or animal carcass. FWP advises getting a harvest home as quickly as possible, and if multiple trips need to be made to pack out the animal, leave the carcass at least 200 yards from the gut pile.

If attacked by a bear, people are advised to use bear spray. Don't run. Lie face down, cover your neck and head with your hands and arms until the bear is gone. Don't play dead if encountering an intent, calm or curious bear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Risto View Post
    https://mtstandard.com/news/state-an...ffe291b65.html

Montana hunter reports shooting grizzly bear in self-defense

BUTTE — A hunter shot a grizzly bear in self-defense in Eureka Basin in the south Gravelly Mountains Saturday, according to Fish, Wildlife and Parks.

Morgan Jacobsen, FWP information and education program manager for Region 3, said he could not release the name of the hunter because the hunter requested privacy.

The hunter was not injured. The hunter reported the incident the same day, according to FWP.

Jacobsen said FWP is investigating the issue along with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Grizzly bears are threatened under the Endangered Species Act.

The two agencies are also looking into two grizzly bear deaths caused by humans that happened last week in the West Yellowstone area.

There have been repeated reports of grizzly bear activities in the Gravelly Mountains this fall. Three hunters were attacked in two separate incidents in the western Gravellies in September. The U.S. Forest Service shut down several trails in the Teepee Creek and Lobo Mesa areas of the Gravellies due to a high number of grizzly bears in August.

The U.S. Forest Service reopened the trails last month, said Leona Roderick, Beaverhead-Deerlodge National Forest spokesperson.

Jacobsen said Saturday’s grizzly bear encounter was several miles south of where the trail closure was and south of the bear attacks last month.

“This illustrates the Gravelly are very much occupied grizzly habitat and a lot of bear activity is happening there,” Jacobsen said.

FWP says grizzly bears have expanded their range into western and central Montana and can remain active through December. Some will roam for brief periods during winter months.

As bears prepare for hibernation, hunter activity — such as wearing animal scents, elk bugling, processing animal carcasses and moving quietly in the forest — can increase the likelihood of bear encounters.

Some grizzlies have learned to associate gunshots with a gut pile or animal carcass. FWP advises getting a harvest home as quickly as possible, and if multiple trips need to be made to pack out the animal, leave the carcass at least 200 yards from the gut pile.

If attacked by a bear, people are advised to use bear spray. Don't run. Lie face down, cover your neck and head with your hands and arms until the bear is gone. Don't play dead if encountering an intent, calm or curious bear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Montana grizz are just on fire this year. That many? Have I read that "interior" grizz track more aggressive in general?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Grizzly Bear Defense

When we were there last summer, we heard multiple times from locals that while there were a few grizzlies around Homer, they aren’t dangerous. Literally no one we saw was obviously armed during the Homer part of our trip. I was carrying a G20, concealed.

I wonder if it’s just locals not wanting visitors walking around with guns, or if familiarity breeds complacency.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 11-05-2019 at 10:45 AM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    When we were there last summer, we heard multiple times from locals that while there were a few grizzlies around Homer, they aren’t dangerous. Literally no one we saw was obviously armed during the Homer part of our trip. I was carrying a G20, concealed.

I wonder if it’s just locals not wanting visitors walking around with guns, or if familiarity breeds complacency.
    This mauling happened adjacent to our property, on land we walk on almost daily when we are in town there. Coast Guard guy, who will make it, but one of his dogs is missing.

I think it is more complicated. Most people don’t possess the necessary firearms skills to defend against a violent bear attack, so it is easier to believe that grizzly bears are not dangerous. Of course, we know that any wild grizzly bear is potentially dangerous depending upon the circumstances. As to armed, open carry is not something that is common in and around town in AK. The last person I saw open carrying in Homer was Zac Brown, and I suggested he probably shouldn’t do that.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    This mauling happened adjacent to our property, on land we walk on almost daily when we are in town there. Coast Guard guy, who will make it, but one of his dogs is missing.

I think it is more complicated. Most people don’t possess the necessary firearms skills to defend against a violent bear attack, so it is easier to believe that grizzly bears are not dangerous. Of course, we know that any wild grizzly bear is potentially dangerous depending upon the circumstances. As to armed, open carry is not something that is common in and around town in AK. The last person I saw open carrying in Homer was Zac Brown, and I suggested he probably shouldn’t do that.
    "Homer is a drinking town with a fishing habit."

I shall make it to Homer next time up there.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I don't know the proper psychological term for it, but most Alaskans don't give a shit about bears. Bear maulings are still rare compared to other causes of injury one can sustain living here. Some are newcomers to the state and just don't know better. Other's have been here for decades living in rural areas and just don't have enough bad experiences to justify being worried about it.

Before my kids were able to competently carry a firearm, they were allowed to fish late into the night at local streams with nobody carrying a firearm. I was the same way. I was out in the woods EVERY day until often late at night at the age of 10. I have literally had bears on the kids' swing set one night. We couldn't live in fear or there just wasn't any life worth living. Parents can't be there every moment so we just let the kids go play without a second thought.

This morning, thousands of Anchorage school kids will walk to the bus in the twilight in neighborhoods that continuously have bears roaming through them. In Seward, kids are walking to the bus stop in the same neighborhood a kid was swatted at a decade ago. In fact, I bet there are kids walking to bus stops in Homer too. All without anyone with a gun near by.

Every single bit of Alaska where humans live is bear country. We have an amazingly low amount of bear issues considering how many bears we have near urban areas.

You want to see people that aren't worried about bears? Travel to Kodiak some time to the town proper, or to one of the many villages on the island. Virtually nobody is armed and the locals regularly hunt deer with small calibers like .243's. Even though it's home to thousands of Kodiak brown bears. It's even funnier on Admiralty Island where the bears outnumber humans, and I saw nobody carrying a firearm while I was there.

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    50 deaths a year? A far cry from bears in the entire world.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I don't know the proper psychological term for it, but most Alaskans don't give a shit about bears. Bear maulings are still rare compared to other causes of injury one can sustain living here. Some are newcomers to the state and just don't know better. Other's have been here for decades living in rural areas and just don't have enough bad experiences to justify being worried about it.

Before my kids were able to competently carry a firearm, they were allowed to fish late into the night at local streams with nobody carrying a firearm. I was the same way. I was out in the woods EVERY day until often late at night at the age of 10. I have literally had bears on the kids' swing set one night. We couldn't live in fear or there just wasn't any life worth living. Parents can't be there every moment so we just let the kids go play without a second thought.

This morning, thousands of Anchorage school kids will walk to the bus in the twilight in neighborhoods that continuously have bears roaming through them. In Seward, kids are walking to the bus stop in the same neighborhood a kid was swatted at a decade ago. In fact, I bet there are kids walking to bus stops in Homer too. All without anyone with a gun near by.

Every single bit of Alaska where humans live is bear country. We have an amazingly low amount of bear issues considering how many bears we have near urban areas.

You want to see people that aren't worried about bears? Travel to Kodiak some time to the town proper, or to one of the many villages on the island. Virtually nobody is armed and the locals regularly hunt deer with small calibers like .243's. Even though it's home to thousands of Kodiak brown bears. It's even funnier on Admiralty Island where the bears outnumber humans, and I saw nobody carrying a firearm while I was there.
    Probably tracks the percentage of people living in Chicago or Mexico and worrying about being the victim of crime.

My experience is the day after a grizzly is around, everyone is taking precautions. Those precautions lessen each day that there is no new bear sighting, until only those that carry every day regardless of a bear sighting, are armed.

User Tag List