Page 48 of 126 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898 ... LastLast

Thread: Grizzly Bear Defense

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Is it wrong that when I read “Serpa” I expected the story to end with the bear running away after the dude shot himself in the leg?
    I am not sure what holster he was using, but there is a guy hobbling around Homer. Shot a charging brown bear three or four times with his G20, and his last shot went through his own foot. Xtra Tuff’s don’t stop 10mm.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by wrmettler View Post

Is this an example of a mellow bear or is it just waiting?
    I vote mellow bear, or curious, but shy.

If/When we finally make it to Alaska, I think I will find plenty of things to do, in the limited time, besides fishing. The absence of fishing gear means more room for other stuff, such as cameras, lenses, revolvers, slugs, and Benellis. I will leave all of the fish for the bears. (I grew up near a couple of creeks, and a reservoir, and seem to have gotten fishing out of my system, by the time I became an adult. I love being near the water, but have little desire to pull anything from the water.)
    Last edited by Rex G; 10-13-2019 at 07:10 AM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Banned
    I see black bears frequently in Colorado Springs but I've only ever seen a Grizzly Bear once. It was at the entrance to Yellow Stone park, on the East side of the park. There was a road block because a work crew was doing rock slide mitigation and while we were waiting a young grizzly bear started foraging on the hill above the road.

Everyone noticed and one woman got her kids out of the car and stood in the road to take pictures. The bear got tired of all the people watching and took off up the side of the hill (that in itself was impressive) and the woman walked back to her car. Being young and dumb, I rolled down my window and told her how incredibly stupid she had been. She told me to mind my own goddamn business.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The plural of anecdote is not data.
    Combine all the results of any hard slug going 1000 FPS and I bet there is a clear pattern regardless of diameter (.35-.5)
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I am not sure what holster he was using, but there is a guy hobbling around Homer. Shot a charging brown bear three or four times with his G20, and his last shot went through his own foot. Xtra Tuff’s don’t stop 10mm.
    Well that’s not good. Was he on his back at the time the foot shot was fired?
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Well that’s not good. Was he on his back at the time the foot shot was fired?

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/al...-10mm-handgun/
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Hammertime
    This is at least the second time I have heard of a self inflicted foot shot while defending against bear.

Back away while shooting, fall, shoot own foot seems a reasonable assumption.

Not in a big grizzly area, although anywhere west of Billings in MT could be grizzly country, I am running a 19X/Acro/Lehigh combo as a back up to my .300 WM on an upcoming elk hunt.

Name:  6D9197DC-F05E-4BAC-BBBD-FCDD5BBDFDEF.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  61.2 KB

Hammertime
    Not in a big grizzly area, although anywhere west of Billings in MT could be grizzly country, I am running a 19X/Acro/Lehigh combo as a back up to my .300 WM on an upcoming elk hunt.

Name:  6D9197DC-F05E-4BAC-BBBD-FCDD5BBDFDEF.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  61.2 KB
    So badass and good looking. Is that a MOS slide?

Yes, a 19 MOS upper on the 19X lower.

User Tag List