Page 82 of 126 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492 ... LastLast

Thread: Grizzly Bear Defense

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I don't. However, a flat meplat hard cast at 1,000 FPS or more, in .44/.45 caliber has been killing large animals for years. The Gunsite backcountry class "school solution" was a .44 magnum or .45 LC double action revolver with heavy flat meplat hard cast bullets.

I have gone to the semi auto for field use because of shooting and carry ergonomics, although the heavy revolver no doubt kills better per shot fired.
    More like the heavy revolver kills better per accurate hit? Accuracy under speed and pressure was a big reason I felt better carrying my G20 with a dot instead of a .44 revolver.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I don't. However, a flat meplat hard cast at 1,000 FPS or more, in .44/.45 caliber has been killing large animals for years. The Gunsite backcountry class "school solution" was a .44 magnum or .45 LC double action revolver with heavy flat meplat hard cast bullets.

I have gone to the semi auto for field use because of shooting and carry ergonomics, although the heavy revolver no doubt kills better per shot fired.
    I've been loading 265 Keith, 285, and 300s for the mountain gun for years.
    Stellar accuracy with the Beartooth bullets.
    I spoke with Smith and Wesson years ago about loadings for the mountain gun, who told me that a max of 1000 fps would not shake things loose on the long colt N frame.
    Matched with the Winchester 94 trapper in the same caliber, it's a good combination. Good for the conditions here in the northeast.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    More like the heavy revolver kills better per accurate hit?
    Yep, that is what I meant!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    @GJM:

I'm sure that there are better options than the old Colt, but are there those who use it that you know of, and what are their experiences?

Chris
    There have been multiple people mauled while trying to get a big revolver out.

The people I see that still have them tend to fall in two camps.

People that have a big revolver because that's a bear pistol and anything else is a joke.

People that really love big revolvers, love shooting them, practice constantly and probably would anyways if they lived in Newark.

I think the second group will be just fine

Grizzly Bear Defense

Mrs. CF and I are headed to Glacier National Park in a couple weeks. I’ve been weighing (literally) two choices for my carry gun. This will be a one-gun trip, so it will be a CCW and backcountry defense gun. We will be doing a lot of hiking in the high county, so weight is a concern. As well, we will be staying on the east side, in an area with a bit of a sketchy reputation, so I’ll need a good defense gun.

Will it be: CZ P-07 509t2 with Underwood Lehigh XP 115gr +p+ (1300fps) for grizzly and 147 HST for CCW?

Or Glock 20.4 Acro with 200gr hardcast (1200fps) for bear and 200 HST (1080 fps) for defense?

Interestingly the loaded weights are not that different. The G20 is 0.18lb (80g) heavier.

"You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Last time I was in bear country I just carried my G19.

I don’t know, maybe I’m nuts but I have a lot of training with it, and am pretty good with it, so I just carry it.

Normally I run the .45 ACP+P 250s at 900+ FPS, but here lately I have been looking seriously at a heavy .40 load.

I got my G22 back from Maple Leaf where I got the slide cut and finished. I was out shooting it today.

I am trying hard not to ignore my trusty .45s. but...

A 170 grain SWC at 1175 is actually a little easier to get fast, precise hits with.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Normally I run the .45 ACP+P 250s at 900+ FPS, but here lately I have been looking seriously at a heavy .40 load.

I got my G22 back from Maple Leaf where I got the slide cut and finished. I was out shooting it today.

I am trying hard not to ignore my trusty .45s. but...

A 170 grain SWC at 1175 is actually a little easier to get fast, precise hits with.

I bet the .40 out penetrates the .45? How does the .40 feed those loads?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

They are poly coated SWCs and they feed extremely well. I have run a little over 500 of them so far through the gun. It has been my experience the .40 cal Glocks (Gen 3) have never really been noted for their accuracy, but maybe its just this grain weight, or this individual projectile. Whatever it is, the load (out of this Gen 3 gun) seems to produce pretty good groups.

I just sent some ammo down to a guy who is going to shoot some into some 20% gel for me to see how they do. I am curious to see the results myself.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    You guys are gonna get me to pull the USPc .40 out of the safe....
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

User Tag List