Page 33 of 126 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast

Thread: Grizzly Bear Defense

280 yards with a shot through both lungs, and then a finishing shot at 350 yards with my lightweight .300 WM and Barnes 180.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    After falling over on snowshoes when being charged by a moose, and considering the terrain I commonly travel in, I have decided that I will consciously stand my ground in a charge to give me the best possible chance of placing one accurate shot on a charging bear. Neither falling over or shooting while pedaling backwards seem conducive to accuracy.

No bears on my Montana hunt that just finished, but I harvested a nice elk with my .300 WM while carrying a Gen 5 Glock for back-up.

Attachment 31723
    Glorious bull! Edit to delete load questions answered above.
    Last edited by JHC; 10-26-2018 at 07:52 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter

3 Grizzly Bears Captured/Removed from SW of Byron, WY

For those unfamiliar with the details of Wyoming geography, Byron is a tiny town out on the flats far from Yellowstone. We're now seeing griz in places where there just aren't supposed to be griz. From the Big Empty, ELN.

https://county10.com/grizzly-bears-c...outh-of-byron/

In cooperation and at the direction of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, the Wyoming Game and Fish Department recently captured and removed three grizzly bears southwest of Byron.

Cody Regional Wildlife Supervisor Dan Smith said this is the furthest east that a grizzly bear has been captured in recent history. “We have not had grizzly bears in this area of Bighorn County since well before grizzly bear recovery efforts began in the 1970s, but as grizzly populations continue to expand in distribution, bear sightings are occurring more and more in areas we would not normally expect to see them and in areas that are not considered suitable for bears. Most of these areas are more susceptible to conflicts between humans and bears,” Smith said.

Game and Fish first became aware of the presence of the grizzly bears (a sow and two cubs) when they were captured on a private individual’s remote trail camera. The bears were feeding on a dead cow on private land in a rural area southwest of Byron. Game and Fish actively monitored the situation and notified surrounding landowners of the presence of the bears and began coordinating with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, because grizzly bears are again a federally managed species.

Through camera surveillance, it was determined the bear was collared, which allowed for insight into the animals’ previous capture and conflict history. In 2013, the sow was captured near ranch buildings on private lands outside of Cody and in September of this year, the bear was captured in Park County for cattle depredation and relocated with two cubs to the Snake River Drainage in Teton County.

Using a flight on Oct. 24 and ground telemetry, it was determined the bears had localized feeding on a livestock carcass southwest of Byron on private land along the Shoshone River corridor. With direction from the USFWS, Game and Fish captured and removed the bears.

Game and Fish recommended removing the bears based on the previous conflict history, habituation to human activities, unsuccessful relocation attempt, and behavior of the bears in proximity to humans.

More on that recent mauling near Livingston:

https://nypost.com/2018/10/29/bowhun...ise-encounter/

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    More on that recent mauling near Livingston:

https://nypost.com/2018/10/29/bowhun...ise-encounter/
    Fucking communists.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

What would you do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh9-0oZZtuE&t=17s

In case you missed it. Grizzly is irritated that his seal carcass is missing and decides to take the matter up with the film crew watching him. High quality video. I watched it on the big screen and it scared the crap out of me. Were they really smart or really foolish?

Not the fastest or fattest bear, but definitely the cutest one!

https://nypost.com/video/baby-bear-b...teep-mountain/

^^^The guy has a neckbeard and BCD glasses, not at all sure I wouldn't root for the bear.

User Tag List