Page 39 of 126 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast

Thread: Grizzly Bear Defense

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming Shooter View Post
    I'll be spending next week in NW Wyoming and SW Montana. It doesn't get more grizzly than that. I need to sort through my options: 1911s in 45 ACP, various plastic 40s and 9s, and some 357 revolvers. I best settle on something and get ammo testing done pronto. Decisions, decisions...
    For what it's worth:

1) I've found that Double Taps 9mm 147 grain TMJ round feeds well through a Glock 19.

2) Barring that, my plan is to use a .357 180 grain wide flat nose round.

If I were in your shoes, I'd go the .357 route, as it doesn't sound like you've enough time to establish reliability in any of the autoloaders.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming Shooter View Post
    I'll be spending next week in NW Wyoming and SW Montana. It doesn't get more grizzly than that. I need to sort through my options: 1911s in 45 ACP, various plastic 40s and 9s, and some 357 revolvers. I best settle on something and get ammo testing done pronto. Decisions, decisions...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    For what it's worth:

1) I've found that Double Taps 9mm 147 grain TMJ round feeds well through a Glock 19.

2) Barring that, my plan is to use a .357 180 grain wide flat nose round.

If I were in your shoes, I'd go the .357 route, as it doesn't sound like you've enough time to establish reliability in any of the autoloaders.
    Underwood with the Lehigh Xtreme penetrator bullet in anything or hard cast 180 in the .357. Cast Core is probably available at Hi Rocky Sports in Riverton.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Are there any .45 acp options that are viable for Grizzly defense?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Underwood with the Lehigh Xtreme penetrator bullet in anything or hard cast 180 in the .357. Cast Core is probably available at Hi Rocky Sports in Riverton.
    Federal's 180 Grain Cast Core loading (P357J) has unfortunately been discontinued. I've not been able to locate any NOS via the internet.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

.45 ACP bear loads

When I didn't have the training time to spin up - so to speak - on a wheelgun for Garrett "Hammerheads", I carried my EDC 1911. Buffalo Bore makes both a 230gr JTC +P and a 255gr HC-TC+P. Both were accurate and manageable with an 18.5# recoil spring. Think of this as an "old school" solution before Underwood, or the Lehigh Penetrators. Of course, the Garrett loads were old school as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    Are there any .45 acp options that are viable for Grizzly defense?

GJM has had good luck with Xtreme Penetrator in everything he's tried it in. Double Tap and Grizzly load FMJ-FPs that are pretty hot. Underwood loads a 255 grain hard cast.

I would not feel stupid carrying 230 grain HST either.

GJM has had good luck with Xtreme Penetrator in everything he's tried it in. Double Tap and Grizzly load FMJ-FPs that are pretty hot. Underwood loads a 255 grain hard cast.

I would not feel stupid carrying 230 grain HST either.
    I’ve never been to bear country yet, I have a 325 Thunder Ranch that I bought for a woods gun, mostly for the south east and 230gr HST is what I load it with as the black bear aren’t very big and other than that it’s cats and people I’m more concerned about.

I’ll check out the underwood options, it’s nice to know it’s not retarded as the 325 is actually a really nice woods carry piece... size is manageable and weight is very manageable and recoil isn’t bad at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    I’ve never been to bear country yet, I have a 325 Thunder Ranch that I bought for a woods gun, mostly for the south east and 230gr HST is what I load it with as the black bear aren’t very big and other than that it’s cats and people I’m more concerned about.

I’ll check out the underwood options, it’s nice to know it’s not retarded as the 325 is actually a really nice woods carry piece... size is manageable and weight is very manageable and recoil isn’t bad at all.

I think people buy "bear guns" that are entirely too much. Toting a .454 Casull around gets old, and most people can't hit a damn thing with them. In my opinion, if you can hit with it, and it fires a reasonably heavy for caliber bullet of tough construction somewhere around 1000fps, that's a good option. I think the 325 would be bomber.

Can you shoot a limited amount of .45 Super through that gun? I bet you could. Also, you could shoot wide flat nose bullets through it without feeding concerns.

I think people buy "bear guns" that are entirely too much. Toting a .454 Casull around gets old, and most people can't hit a damn thing with them.
    I carried a Ruger Alaskan 454 Casull for 30-day stretches on the Alaskan peninsula as a backup. You're correct, it's a lot of gun to carry and shoot. I moved on to a 10mm semi-auto and never looked back.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 36trap View Post
    I carried a Ruger Alaskan 454 Casull for 30-day stretches on the Alaskan peninsula as a backup. You're correct, it's a lot of gun to carry and shoot. I moved on to a 10mm semi-auto and never looked back.
    I looked at one of those in .44 Magnum the other day. Impressive gun, but more than I want to tote. Especially living in southern AZ, it would be total overkill. Our bears and cats, I just carry a 9mm or .357 and don’t worry about it.

User Tag List