Page 74 of 126 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684124 ... LastLast

Thread: Grizzly Bear Defense

On dangerous game hunts, and even regular hunts, you can quickly go from the "hunter" to "the hunted." I always think of my hunting firearms in terms of their defensive attributes. A 1301 or Benelli with an Aimpoint and a tube full of Brenneke slugs would have been a great second long gun on that hunt.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    On dangerous game hunts, and even regular hunts, you can quickly go from the "hunter" to "the hunted." I always think of my hunting firearms in terms of their defensive attributes. A 1301 or Benelli with an Aimpoint and a tube full of Brenneke slugs would have been a great second long gun on that hunt.
    A Ruger 10/22 as a backup rifle would have been better than what they brought. [emoji849]

And while I don't know the Alaskan bear hunting rules, I'd bet the guide is only not allowed to shoot the bear during the hunt... Once there is a life in danger I'm sure all the rules are lifted.
    Or you shoot the charging bear and then hand your rifle to the hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    And while I don't know the Alaskan bear hunting rules, I'd bet the guide is only not allowed to shoot the bear during the hunt... Once there is a life in danger I'm sure all the rules are lifted.
    Or you shoot the charging bear and then hand your rifle to the hunter.
    A guide can certainly DLP a bear but an actual paid guide would have a hard time explaining how his/her hunter shot a bear 3 times from 480 yards then got charged.

Best advice I ever got was that just because a bear is coming at you doesn't mean it's charging. Bears will take the path of least resistance when fleeing and if you're standing in that path you're getting run over and probably mauled on the way through. Move. Right angles so you can keep an eye on it, even if it's uphill through shit country. Hairless apes are better at that than bears especially when they're scared.

Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post
    A guide can certainly DLP a bear but an actual paid guide would have a hard time explaining how his/her hunter shot a bear 3 times from 480 yards then got charged.

Best advice I ever got was that just because a bear is coming at you doesn't mean it's charging. Bears will take the path of least resistance when fleeing and if you're standing in that path you're getting run over and probably mauled on the way through. Move. Right angles so you can keep an eye on it, even if it's uphill through shit country. Hairless apes are better at that than bears especially when they're scared.
    That is interesting -- was the best charging them or descending because that was an easier escape route.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

That is interesting -- was the best charging them or descending because that was an easier escape route.
    I tend to think descending. I've hiked around that country and bears are awkward as all hell going uphill through snow. They'll kill stuff in their way for sure though.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Wow. A lot of lessons in that one.
    Is ‘lessons’ some kind of cool slang for ‘morons?’
    Ignore Alien Orders

Site Supporter
    This is the worst hunt, sprotsman, and article I've read in some time. This is nauseating

Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    This is the worst hunt, sprotsman, and article I've read in some time. This is nauseating
    So I'm not a hunter... Out of curiosity can you tell me what mistakes were made?
    It's obvious to me that they didn't have enough hardware with them. I would expect both people to have a rifle or shotgun and both people to have a Large caliber sidearm as a back up.
    What other mistakes were made?
    Was the rifle underpowered for the bear?
    It also seems the shot placement was suspect, seeing as it didn't seem to even slow the bear down. And jamming the rifle seems like an especially FUBAR moment.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Not super familiar with big hip iron but caliber and shroud suggest Taurus. I wonder if he was using a rifle of equal "quality"
    Idiots like this give hunters a bad name.

User Tag List