Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: K frame trainers - which models

Site Supporter

K frame trainers - which models

I’m going to try and add a K frame to the safe, mainly for training that can trickle down to the J frame, for the fact that I haven’t really messed with revolvers before, and that the whole “common things are common for a reason” seems to have proven itself over and over to me.

So, I know that 6X is stainless, and 1X is carbon steel. I don’t have any desire to shoot .357 mag, but if there’s another reason beyond ‘you can’ to snag a .357 mag model, let me know.

That leaves it to adjustable and fixed sights - I’m not a high volume shooter due to life, but I really appreciate good sights. I know you can do things with the adjustable models that you can’t on the fixed (sight blades, etc) - but how much of a difference is the sight picture between the two, factory to factory?

Then the difference between sight models - fixed (M&P) are 10/64/12 for .38 (13/65 for .357), adjustable (Combat Masterpiece) are 15/67/68 (19/66 for .357). I don’t have interest in the alloy or long 6” targets.

Given the 10/64/12 and 15/67/68 - what’s the consensus for best range trainer? Known problems with one model versus others? Why would one of the above be better than the other from the same ‘family’ (ie 15/67/68)? Wanting to stick with a shooter grade, and trying to keep the costs down as much as possible (I need to get a .38 conversion for the press).

Thank you all!

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Wanting to stick with a shooter grade, and trying to keep the costs down as much as possible
    IMO it is kind of an opportunity presents sorts thing, they are all good, differentiated only by features. A 4" 64 is probably going to be the most basic cost wise. And if it has marks you can bead blast it back to cosmetic perfection. Anything without a pined front sight is probably going to get painted anyway.

Site Supporter
    The trigger/grip geometry won't be the same as a J frame. If you want a trainer for the J frame that's what I'd get. For the Ks the sight picture is much better on the adjustable sighted models and my choice would be the 15/67/19/66. Deeper notch and more prominent front sight post.
    Adam

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by APS-PF View Post
    The trigger/grip geometry won't be the same as a J frame. If you want a trainer for the J frame that's what I'd get. For the Ks the sight picture is much better on the adjustable sighted models and my choice would be the 15/67/19/66. Deeper notch and more prominent front sight post.
    More like revolver da practice - I know there’s a large difference between a k and a j, but the operations are similar enough that learning how to use one decently would still be building the same skill set. It’s more like use k frame for most of the work, then follow up with j frame work to confirm.

It’s also a good loaner for folks who think a semiauto is a magic box - and we have some in the family (one became a us citizen last year for example).

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Definitely one of the adjustable sight models. I love my model 19.

Site Supporter
    Then the difference between sight models - fixed (M&P) are 10/64/12 for .38 (13/65 for .357), adjustable (Combat Masterpiece) are 15/67/68 (19/66 for .357). I don’t have interest in the alloy or long 6” targets.
    Note that the M12 is the alloy-framed version of the M10.

I've got two 10s, a 67, a 13 and a 19, all in 4". The adjustable sight versions are superior for sights, but your J frame will probably have fixed sights and it might be a better idea to get the K frame that way to get used to the sight picture.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    For adjustable sights, the 15/19/66/67 would be the way to go. They are starting to get a little pricey, but finish-challenged blued guns are still not bad.

Another way to go would be to find a 3" Model 60.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Adjustable sights will be more visible in a wider variety of light conditions, and would be my strong preference for that reason, but I agree with the suggestion that the fixed sights will provide more relevant practice for a J frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

I know this is heresy in a Smith thread, but my answer would be a SP101. Thing is a friggin tank. Heavy but manageable trigger, good for training! You most likely won't manage to wear it out.

If we are sticking to Smiths, I would say 640/640 pro. Put a larger set of stocks on it and it is very comfortable/easy to shoot. Put the boot stocks back on for more realistic practice.

Site Supporter
    I know the rugers have a great reputation, but the cylinder release operates differently and I'm trying to minimize operation differences and detail break-down of the revolver.

My current thoughts are (in order)
    Model 15 with 4-inch Heavy Barrel
    Model 67 with 4-inch Heavy Barrel
    Model 10 with 4-inch Heavy Barrel
    Model 64 with 4-inch Heavy Barrel

My initial thought was towards fixed sights, ala j frame, for that commonality and to build more skills at once. Thanks to those that pointed out the difference in notch depth/width in the adjustable models - that's really great info that wasn't previously known.

Now to sell a few things so I can put some money towards this, a 640, and a .38 special conversion kit for my press!

User Tag List