Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: K frame trainers - which models

Site Supporter
    Any k frame S&W with a 4 inch barrel or less will work. I look for used S&Ws. Look for shooter grade guns. 38 specials that were used but not abused are often the best deals. A model 17 or 18 is worth paying extra for. You make the money back in ammo savings. Don’t forget a steel framed j frame or a 43C in .22lr as a trainer. Dry fire is king for cheap practice.

Site Supporter
    Just got my first K frame, 64-5. I’ll be looking forward to finding better grips, and shooting this a lot more in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Just got my first K frame, 64-5. I’ll be looking forward to finding better grips, and shooting this a lot more in the future.

I would just put on a Tyler T-grip or BK grip adapter and roll with those PC Magna stocks unless the right side stock is trashed or you really want something different.
    If the right side looks as good as the left and if you decide that you really don’t want them, I may be interested in them if you are willing to sell. I have a 64-1 that has Pachmayr Grippers and I want to set it up with PC Magnas and a brushed aluminum Tyler T-Grip to replicate my last issued duty revolver from the ‘80s.
    Yours is the first -5 series 64 or 65 I have seen with the old style cylinder release latch. My 65-5 has the newer “teardrop” shaped one.
    These are great sixguns. They are fun to shoot and are very accurate. I have only seen one fixed sight K frame Smith that didn’t shoot to POA with 158 grain ammo. They also have a tendency to multiply. I have enough fixed sight K-frame .38s to outfit a small town PD...

Site Supporter
    I'll look into the grip adapters and see how they work. I'd like to try a set of target grips based off of reading some people's reviews of them on here, but being so new to revolvers (third one, second with permanent residence) I really am starting fresh with no real guide path to follow. I did take it to the range yesterday and work some steel at 50 yards and found it to be quite pleasant (the weather not so much), but the grip shape didn't help much with keeping the gun steady in the trigger press or during recoil.

Given the price point, the grip adapters will be the first purchase for improvement. I did paint the sights the same as my J, so while the K sights are much more usable, I'm getting more practice with the same setup. One thing's for sure - there's a lot of learning that will come out of this gun. I don't anticipate reloading .38 due to the inherent speed differences between a revolver and a semi (and a 1050 conversion will net me a case of ammo plus some).

Yesterday I did think about shooting IDPA with this and speed loaders, and USPSA with my P226. I think that my decision to stick with a DA/SA to build skill will just be compounded by shooting DAO as well.

Site Supporter
    I will second the recommendation of the grip adapter. Unless you have very large hands, you will likely need to leave the backstrap exposed for good trigger reach. However, filling in the space behind the trigger guard, and extending the grip a bit forward of the factory splinter grip, will make the gun more comfortable and secure in your hand.

Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    Bk adapter ordered!

Yesterday I did think about shooting IDPA with this and speed loaders, and USPSA with my P226. I think that my decision to stick with a DA/SA to build skill will just be compounded by shooting DAO as well.
    Do it! I almost exclusively shoot my 64-3 police trade-in for IDPA, and I have tons of fun doing so. One thing's for sure: you'll get real good at reloading, not to mention the attention you'll get by being viewed as some kind of freak by the bottom spankers, errr, I mean feeders.

Site Supporter
    Bk adapter ordered!

I am curious- what color did you order? I heard that BK did not do silver/aluminum color anymore due to issues with finish durability.

Site Supporter
    I did the cheapie seconds. Saves $5 for something that looks bolted in anyway. If I cared mire about aesthetics I would get a polished aluminum Taylor.

User Tag List