Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beretta 92G with a 92D hammer...DAO??

Quote Originally Posted by azerious View Post
    UPDATE:

ran the serial number....its a 92GD?!?!?

Serial Number: BER143568
    Model: SPEC0019C
    Product Description: @92GD,TRIJICON,3-15RD,PLASTIC
    Approximate Manufacture Date: 1999
    Parts Listing: Parts
    Owners Manual: Manual
    Product Brochure or Literature: Brochure
    Choke System: NOT APPLICABLE
    Barrel: Call Beretta
    Stock:
    That appears to be a unique pistol. IIRC, I've read about Beretta 92 FS series pistols for a LE agency that were converted to to DAO with the original slide/safety left alone. So, perhaps Beretta converted these from G series to DAO for a LE agency as well.
    If I could find my Beretta book, I could look it up..
    Last edited by Exiledviking; 10-30-2017 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    That appears to be a unique pistol. IIRC, I've read about Beretta 92 FS series pistols for a LE agency that were converted to to DAO with the original slide/safety left alone. So, perhaps Beretta converted these from G series to DAO for a LE agency as well.
    If I could find my Beretta book, I could look it up..

So do you think they just dropped a D hammer in there and called it good or was there more done? I would want to conver this back to DA/SA as soon as I got it

Quote Originally Posted by azerious View Post
    So do you think they just dropped a D hammer in there and called it good or was there more done? I would want to conver this back to DA/SA as soon as I got it
    The best thing to do, I think, is to see if Mr. Ayoob will chime in on this. It was in his book that I read about these conversions and IIRC they are rare and possibly worth some real money.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    The best thing to do, I think, is to see if Mr. Ayoob will chime in on this. It was in his book that I read about these conversions and IIRC they are rare and possibly worth some real money.
    I would hope its just a D hammer and i can swap it out easily to convert back to DA/SA. Otherwise i think i would need a whole new sear and sear spring??

That fact it has a Straight dust cover AND a radius cut backstrap alone makes it rare in my personal quest for a 92G lol.

It's not that big of a deal to install the sear and sear spring along with the hammer for the conversion back to DA/SA and you likely won't need to do the hammer.

That said, the GD configuration may be somewhat collectible and may be worth more in it's current state than it would be if you changed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    It's not that big of a deal to install the sear and sear spring along with the hammer for the conversion back to DA/SA and you likely won't need to do the hammer.

That said, the GD configuration may be somewhat collectible and may be worth more in it's current state than it would be if you changed it.
    I can detail strips these all day so that won't be an issue. However i do not have a Sear or sear spring on hand so that would be annoying. Hopefully they just threw a D hammer in w/o single action notch and a "D" Spring and called it good.

Brownells carries those parts. Or you can probably find an NP3 coated sear & pin on Gunbroker or eBay.

Site Supporter
    Does anyone know the background on this model?

I am struggling to understand the reasoning behind a "GD" configuration. If the hammer can't stay cocked, what purpose does a decocking lever serve?

Perhaps some agency wanted the option to easily convert pistols between the "D" and "G" configuration? I could see some logic in assigning a DAO to the lowest common denominator types, especially if they were previously revolver-trained, while the competent shooters earn the option to get a sear installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
    Does anyone know the background on this model?

I am struggling to understand the reasoning behind a "GD" configuration. If the hammer can't stay cocked, what purpose does a decocking lever serve?

Perhaps some agency wanted the option to easily convert pistols between the "D" and "G" configuration? I could see some logic in assigning a DAO to the lowest common denominator types, especially if they were previously revolver-trained, while the competent shooters earn the option to get a sear installed.
    IIRC, in the gun digest Beretta book, Mas stated that a PD that had 92G models decided they wanted them converted to D configuration. Rather than swap them in for new guns, they just had Beretta convert them, which left them with a vestigial decocking lever on the slide. You're absolutely correct that with no SA mode, there's nothing to decock, so there's nothing for the lever to do.

The department in question was Indianapolis PD, a long time ago. They've long since gone to the Glock, and are in the process of switching from G22 to G17M. Don't know if that process is complete yet.

User Tag List