Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Race to the Middle

Race to the Middle

This head-to-head drill is part of our Defensive Pistol Skill Builder class. It combines marksmanship fundamentals with target identification. Each shooter has two TxT targets. The inside target is designated as a no-shoot, which also means no muzzle because we don't point firearms at things we don't intend to shoot. Each shooter also has a red 8" pie plate and white 8" pie plate along with a red 6" mini-popper and white 6" mini-popper.The go command is the color call. The shooter puts two HITS into the 4x6 center box on the TxT, averts their muzzle to avoid the no-shoot/no-muzzle, and then they hit the correct pie plate and mini-popper. The first one to the finished wins; however, a failure to get two hits in the 4x6 or a failure to avert the muzzle from the no-shoot is a DQ.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Site Supporter
    Careful, dude. Somebody is going to call for you to be burned at the stake for averting a muzzle from a no-shoot.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Careful, dude. Somebody is going to call for you to be burned at the stake for averting a muzzle from a no-shoot.
    You should see the look on a shooter's face when they burn it down but lose due to a DQ.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    You should see the look on a shooter's face when they burn it down but lose due to a DQ.
    I'm familiar with the look.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    Vapor lock does not just happen to carburetors.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Vapor lock does not just happen to carburetors.

If you want to see vapor lock, shoot the Blue Falcon drill.

We run it just prior to this one.

Hard to see from the video but, while both shooters clearly avert their muzzles from a T paper no shoot, it doesn't look like they are doing the same with the color plates. Looks like a direct transition from white to white without clearly visible gun movement to avoid muzzling red plate. Is steel treated differently from paper, or it is presumed that no muzzling occurs during steel to steel transition because they are not the same height?
    Last edited by YVK; 10-29-2017 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Hard to see from the video but, while both shooters clearly avert their muzzles from a T paper no shoot, it doesn't look like they are doing the same with the color plates. Looks like a direct transition from white to white without clearly visible gun movement to avoid muzzling red plate. Is steel treated differently from paper, or it is presumed that no muzzling occurs during steel to steel transition because they are not the same height?
    This is basically a Rangemaster Parrot drill with a no-shoot and target ID thrown in for good measure. I don't specify that the steel are no-muzzles. Their purpose is to make the shooter ID a target and apply fundamentals. The steel is small enough that it is not forgiving of a sloppy trigger or not shifting the focus from the target to the front sight.

We run a drill just prior to this called the "Blue Falcon" that is all paper and with more designated no-shoots.

jlw- That's awesome. I love it!
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Site Supporter
    When I did this drill at jlw's class it wasn't the no-shoots that got me -- it was doing the drill left handed that got me. I had good runs shooting with both hands and also with my right hand -- shot it clean with decent speed (for me). Then my run with my left hand was just abysmal. I nailed the first two shots into the close up target but then had trouble with the poppers at 15 yards. I struggled with that aspect of my shooting the whole day -- which was a real good learning experience for me.

User Tag List