Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: USP V1 trigger - disadvantages?

USP V1 trigger - disadvantages?

I've been on a long break from carrying and shooting for a while since I got out of the Army, but today I rented a USP 9mm and put 200 rounds through it. Last time I shot a USP was a .45 perhaps 15 years ago, so I mostly wanted to get re-acquainted with the manual of arms on this particular weapon. A little background, my first personally owned pistol (that I still have and carry) is a 1911, so I'm used to cocked and locked. Shot a few matches with it. Had it since 2002. Most of my training has been on M9s however, so I became reasonably proficient at the DA press-out and SA transition. I also have some trigger time behind striker fired guns.

I had a lot of fun practicing both DA/SA doubles, and comparing that to my accuracy with press-out from cocked and locked in SA. Of course I'm rusty, but I didn't notice much difference in accuracy between the two. One thing I've been wondering about though: does the flexibility of the V1 trigger in USPs create "too many" options that may confuse the user in a stressful situation? In other words, is it a liability to have a variety of carry conditions available on the same pistol?

On a 1911, it's always cocked and locked. On an M9, we always carried with the hammer down but safety off (we treated it like a SIG, no safety but double action on the first shot). Glock, duh. USP, seems like you have three different ways to carry. Fun on the range, but could this create confusion in actual usage? Perhaps one should pick a particular method and stick with it through training.

I have yet to try a LEM trigger but I am very interested based on what I've read here and elsewhere. That would certainly simplify things. But at the moment my brain is loving the USP because it gives me the option of 1911 or double action manual of arms.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by McNamara View Post
    Perhaps one should pick a particular method and stick with it through training.
    I believe that this is the way to go. When I carry my USP9c V1, it's always decocked with the safety on. I also practice with it that way.

Pick one way and stick with it always.

You can also just switch the detent plates for a pretty low cost to force a Single action with manual safety or a typical DA/SA configuration.

I've been meaning to pick up a couple of detent plates, but don't shoot the USP very often.

I'm not the biggest fan of the USP's lever as a decocker... as I tend to ride it like a 1911 safety. I like my decockers to require a slight reach from my firing grip (Beretta 92/Sig P226 for example)

Lots of options out there for the USP, and I'll always keep one around as a reference piece.
    Last edited by warpedcamshaft; 10-29-2017 at 06:13 AM.

I like a v3 plate which makes the lever a decocker only, since I do not carry the USP cocked and locked.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

We found a couple very specific things we liked about the V1 (My SWAT team was one of the first adopters of the USP45 in the country, and they still carry them although they are now using LEM guns). We carried them simply de-cocked. We could use the safety to safe the gun and then cock it into single action if a long/or precision shot was needed. It was much safer to do this with the safety on and basically convert it to a single action. The safety can be utilized for administrative loading and unloading. Many negligent discharges tend to happen during administrative handling and being able to safe the gun during these procedures is a bonus (the slide can be operated and worked with the safety on). I also used the safety when the gun was out of my control. When I worked a specialized VIP protection detail I carried a pair of HK45C's. One was on my person, and one was in a bail out type bag that had lots of spare mags, medical gear, and other critical items that was usually nearby. It also contained a second gun. That second HK45C had the mechanical safety on in case that bag ended up out of my control and the gun was accessed by someone else or a child (I had 23 celebrity kids under my care).
    For most folks going with the V3 plate is a solid route, but the safety does have some benefits.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I have V1 USP 40 that has seen use as a roving pistol for in the home, for the time I don't feel like going on body at home. I like it because as Dagga Boy points out any time the pistol is being physically touched/moved the safety goes on (even though it's already decocked) and comes off the moment it finds a resting place. This way I can slip it in a waistband to move with it briefly and not worry about something catching trigger so the pistol can stay within arms reach without being in a holster.

I agree for a defensive gun pick a way and stick with it so it's completely second nature when it hits the fan.

That being said, I'm a new convert to the USP compact and I'm having a hell of a time deciding what trigger mode I want. I've only shot the gun a couple times, but this week I shot a steel match with it (my first competition in a decade) and even though I'm leaning towards LEM or TDA with it, I ran it cocked and locked. I've NEVER run a cocked and locked gun from the holster before, so I wanted to try it. I was very surprised at how easy it was. I did not fumble at all, safety always came off clean and my grip was ok by the time I fired. Pretty easy to handle gun. Even my mag reloads were flawless even though I was taking them from my pocket since I don't have a mag pouch yet. My actual shooting of it wasn't stellar though, especially trying to shoot at speed, but as I said, I'm rusty. I think it's cool how this gun is designed to be run perfectly well in several different modes, but it makes my decision tougher. Still debating. And BTW thanks to DaggaBoy and several other who have given me a lot to think about on the various LEM/DASA threads

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    I agree for a defensive gun pick a way and stick with it so it's completely second nature when it hits the fan.

That being said, I'm a new convert to the USP compact and I'm having a hell of a time deciding what trigger mode I want. I've only shot the gun a couple times, but this week I shot a steel match with it (my first competition in a decade) and even though I'm leaning towards LEM or TDA with it, I ran it cocked and locked. I've NEVER run a cocked and locked gun from the holster before, so I wanted to try it. I was very surprised at how easy it was. I did not fumble at all, safety always came off clean and my grip was ok by the time I fired. Pretty easy to handle gun. Even my mag reloads were flawless even though I was taking them from my pocket since I don't have a mag pouch yet. My actual shooting of it wasn't stellar though, especially trying to shoot at speed, but as I said, I'm rusty. I think it's cool how this gun is designed to be run perfectly well in several different modes, but it makes my decision tougher. Still debating. And BTW thanks to DaggaBoy and several other who have given me a lot to think about on the various LEM/DASA threads
    Most people will find the LEM to shoot on the first shot, compared to HK DA, and the HK SA easier to shoot than LEM.

I went to V3 when the safety found its way on when I didn’t expect it to. Fortunately that meant only the porcupine gained from the situation.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Most people will find the LEM to shoot on the first shot, compared to HK DA, and the HK SA easier to shoot than LEM.

I went to V3 when the safety found its way on when I didn’t expect it to. Fortunately that meant only the porcupine gained from the situation.
    I'm sorry, but I'm not following. Are you saying most people find the LEM easier to shoot or the TDA?
    It's actually something I've been wanting to ask. I haven't live fired a LEM trigger, but it seems to me ON PAPER that a LEM would be easier to shoot than TDA, so I'd love any input on this. I've read the DB threads and can see how the LEM is a great street trigger, but I think a TDA also is, so basically I just wanna go with what I'd shoot best between the two of them....

ETA: I just reread again and now I understand what you're saying in your post. I would still be interested in input regarding LEM vs TDA (HK pistols) if anyone cares to share.
    Last edited by Balisong; 10-29-2017 at 11:36 AM.

User Tag List