Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help me spec out a weapon light

Damon - More or less matching the performance of the 600 and 1,000 lumen Fury, for the cost of a drop-in, is precisely what I am going for.

El Cid - I will see what he says on the switching.

Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    Damon - More or less matching the performance of the 600 and 1,000 lumen Fury, for the cost of a drop-in, is precisely what I am going for.
    Ok, I'm in.

Regarding lumens and beam shapes:

Why are diffusers no longer used on lights? Seems like it would be the perfect solution - instead of having to decide on a single fixed beam pattern, the user has the ability to switch between throw and flood as the situation requires.

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

M600 is now 1200 lumens, and M300 is 400.

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    Lumens are part of the equation but not all of it. My Surefire M600 scout light has less lumens than my Inforce WMLx. But the M600 has more throw. For a gun used for HD, the increased spill of the WML is preferred. But when outside covering on a canine track, the additional throw of the Surefire M600 is why it resides on my Patrol Rifle.

Like a is important, but so is the design of the reflector. One must decide what you plan on using the light for, then decide how much spill/throw you actually want.
    Agreed, different lights for different applications. Since Tensaw is already set up to mount one inch lights, here are a few Malkoff suggestions;

Any MD2 light with a drop-in of choice for indoor use;

For outdoor reach, unscrew head and install Hound Dog 18650 head (900 lumens/29,000 lux);

Beam pattern of the HD 18650;

NH - I own one of the older (by two or three years) versions of the Hound Dog. It is, hands down, my go-to light for anything that might get serious. I have contemplated mounting it on a rifle (mine requires two 18650 cells), but have not due mostly to the weight and bulk of the head. This might not be a serious issue when predator hunting (four-legged kind), but how do you find that set-up for fighting in or around a house?

Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    NH - I own one of the older (by two or three years) versions of the Hound Dog. It is, hands down, my go-to light for anything that might get serious. I have contemplated mounting it on a rifle (mine requires two 18650 cells), but have not due mostly to the weight and bulk of the head. This might not be a serious issue when predator hunting (four-legged kind), but how do you find that set-up for fighting in or around a house?
    Mounted as shown the HD head clears the barrel with room to spare, though obviously it adds eight ounces of weight to the end of the rifle. The MD2 body is compact enough for WML use and illumination wise the HD 18650 kicks butt.

For indoor use I would look at the MD2 host light with a M61N drop-in.

User Tag List