Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me spec out a weapon light

Help me spec out a weapon light

I have an "in" with a guy who can build pretty solid drop-in modules for Surefire lights (6p and 9P sizes). I am having a conversation with him about the possibility of building me a drop-in that would live in a light mounted on an AR used for home defense. The direction I am asking him to go with this is heavy on output with only a little regard for runtime.

In terms of actual specs, I am thinking of 500+ lumens on a 2 cell and basically asking him to drive the LED hard enough to run for 45 minutes. On a three cell version, 1,000+ lumens and again backing the runtime down to 45 minutes if it gets me more light. [Understanding that the eye does not perceive light output in a linear fashion, if I can get longer runtime (and less heat) with the same *practical* output, I'm good with that. I will leave that to my buddy who knows about these things.)] As for the reflector, I want to shoot for something that tends toward really good throw, but still retains a decent amount of spill/flood. At 1,000+ lumens, I'm not sure you would need a lot of spill inside a structure.

I will note for the record that I am aware that at these output levels, heatsinking becomes an issue. I will rely on the design of the drop-in to transfer the heat to the aluminum light body, and from there into the light mount and handguard. But mainly, I'm going to rely on using the light in short bursts. I supposed you might go hunting for someone and then have to hold them at gunpoint for 30 minutes while the Po-Po get there, but other than that fairly outlandish scenario, I have a hard time envisioning running this light for more than a minute or two at a time, if that. Any differing thoughts on that?

So I'm throwing this out there on the off chance that my buddy decides he wants to start building and selling these drop-ins as a regular thing. I am interested to hear any critiques on my thought process/guidance on the lumens vs runtime thing, as well as the beam pattern.

Why not just get a 600 series Scout?

Already have the old Surefires and mounts. If I can upgrade them, I don't have to a) ditch a perfectly good set-up and then b) drop more money on new gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    Already have the old Surefires and mounts. If I can upgrade them, I don't have to a) ditch a perfectly good set-up and then b) drop more money on new gear.
    I've been in a lot of houses with carbines and there is absolutely such a thing as too much light. 1000 + lumens is absolutely overkill, (I know some people differ in opinion). Now if you had something that could be run 4-6 lumens indoors and 1K outdoors that would be the shit though setting up spill and hotspot with something like that would probably be hard I imagine. I don't know jack about lights, batteries or the tech that goes into them, my perspective is sheerly as an end user. With that being said I don't know what is possible for run times and such or what the tech allows but I wouldn't want a carbine mounted light that runs less than 1-1.5 hrs and couldn't be run continuously without heat issues, anywhere in the 4-6 range is good, 4 being minimum 6 would be my max indoor only or depending on how the light is focused and spills. 3 cell might be a little long depending on rail space other accessories and activation method.
    Last edited by Mike C; 10-28-2017 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    I've been in a lot of houses with carbines and there is absolutely such a thing as too much light. 1000 + lumens is absolutely overkill, (I know some people differ in opinion)...
    ....anywhere in the 4-6 range is good, 4 being minimum 6 would be my max indoor only or depending on how the light is focused and spills. .
    Yup. Nope, this is what I am looking for - informed opinions. In *my* situation, I live in a rural area and have livestock. It is not outside the realm of possibility that one night I will have to smoke check a coyote messing with the stock. I'm not a fan of leaving the house to go after a crook outside, but I suppose that could happen. I take it you are LE and have been involved in extended searches/found yourself maintaining a perimeter - and maybe that is what is driving your runtime requirements? Good gouge though.

I'm not tracking your reference to "4-6 range is good." 4-6 what?

Help me spec out a weapon light

400-600 Lumens. Sorry about that. I think personal preference does play a large role but somewhere in that range based on throw and spill was the sweet spot for me. I am not LE and my experience in that realm is minuscule so that isn’t where I’m coming from. 99% of my experience is Military over seas. There are others on this board with a metric ass ton of Law Enforcement experience in this realm, hopefully they will chime in. They would have a lot to add to this.

If you are in a large rural area and there is a high probability of use outside I’d have your connection let you sample a few heads so that you can take them out and see for yourself what might be too much or not quite enough lumen wise. You can also see what you like in terms of throw/hot spot and spill. I’d also factor in the potential engagement ranges from where you might be taking a shot to your livestock. If it’s short and you can get a light in that 4-600 lumen range that might be ideal and give you more run time but it could also be insufficient.
    Last edited by Mike C; 10-28-2017 at 09:49 PM.

The Surefire PX2 Fury is a light I have mounted on a few guns. It is a 500 lumen light on my longuns intended for home defense in and around my house. The spill and throw on the light is perfect for indoors and The 25 yds outside of my house I am interested in covering.

If you are searching for wild animals, It is possible you might turn on your light and leave it on to search. Flashing your light on and and off is something you do if you expect to be shot at or if trying to save batteries. Your night vision will not be as sharp once you start using the light.

An additional thought. Surefire uses a different head size on the P2X. If you limit yourself to a drop- in bulb it might limit your design possibilities. So consider a complete head replacement.

If you can, compare what you want with the P2X and P3X Fury. They are existing 600 and 1000 lumen lights.
    Last edited by DamonL; 10-29-2017 at 09:21 AM.

Does your friend build witches or just LED's? I ask because the weapon light I've been wanting would have two brightness levels, but I want them controlled by a tape switch like the ones that run laser and light combos. I could push one button for 500 lumens with plenty of spill for indoor work and the other button for 1,000 lumens with a focused beam for outdoor work. Trying to work a click tail button to get different outputs rarely works well under stress in my experience.

Lumens are part of the equation but not all of it. My Surefire M600 scout light has less lumens than my Inforce WMLx. But the M600 has more throw. For a gun used for HD, the increased spill of the WML is preferred. But when outside covering on a canine track, the additional throw of the Surefire M600 is why it resides on my Patrol Rifle.

Like a is important, but so is the design of the reflector. One must decide what you plan on using the light for, then decide how much spill/throw you actually want.

User Tag List