Thread: S & W Model 639

S & W Model 639

In the early 90's a group of a used to gather on some State property that was used as a unofficial shooting range. One time while shooting, someone in the group brought a Model-39 with them. Shooting the pistol was a pleasure, trigger/recoil well balanced.Back then I couldn't truly appreciate it, 40cal. was all the rage "young and knowing all" I handed it off and went back to my 40. Maturing some and now growing old, Im considering putting a 639, into the safe. My question is, the gun is decades out of production will I be able to easily get parts for it? Or would I be wiser looking for a current production pistol with similar characteristics...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by $teve View Post
    In the early 90's a group of a used to gather on some State property that was used as a unofficial shooting range. One time while shooting, someone in the group brought a Model-39 with them. Shooting the pistol was a pleasure, trigger/recoil well balanced.Back then I couldn't truly appreciate it, 40cal. was all the rage "young and knowing all" I handed it off and went back to my 40. Maturing some and now growing old, Im considering putting a 639, into the safe. My question is, the gun is decades out of production will I be able to easily get parts for it? Or would I be wiser looking for a current production pistol with similar characteristics...
    Parts are out there. Though they're becoming more scarce. I broke a sideplate on a 4516 not too long ago. I was able to find a part that worked (for a 645)... though it isn't the exact part that's supposed to be used. So, I guess parts can be a little... iffy? But if you look, I bet you'd be able to find something. There's still a fair amount of parts available on Numrich.

That said, if the gun is in good shape, I'd guess you probably won't need much in the way of replacement parts. I have 5 Smith DA/SAs. They all get shot, now and again. None have needed new parts, except that 4516--which I broke being careless.
    Last edited by MattyD380; 10-28-2017 at 10:49 AM.

Someone here who knows a lot more about them than I do said something to the effect of collect them but probably don't use them for anything serious only because you'll wear them out and replacement parts are hard to come by. I have a 3914 and have done a little searching and I don't doubt that. Some parts are easy to find (probably the ones that don't break much) and some just aren't available. I would say hunt one down to enjoy for fun but find something in current production to fulfill your serious needs. I'm in the same boat. I like the Smith classics as well as the Ruger P-series. The P-series seems to be a little better with parts support but my P97 needs a recoil spring retainer and retainer clip. I had to email Ruger to get replacements, could not find them online. Such is the life of a gun hipster.
    Last edited by Bigghoss; 10-28-2017 at 11:18 AM.

I called S&W for an update on parts support after buying an LE trade in 4006 .

Their response; slide or frame damage will total the gun, parts support comes down to "whatever they got in the warehouse". Which means factory support is a bit of a lottery,and the older the gun the lower your odds. Winners get a fixed gun back,"losers" get a voucher for an M&P with an apology letter.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

I'm fortunate to have a very low mileage, factory-tuned 5906 that I purchased new. It remains mostly a safe queen;

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....highlight=5906

Though too heavy to comfortably EDC, it's really a pleasure to shoot.

User Tag List