Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Any Update on the .356 TSW project?

Quote Originally Posted by s537 View Post
    They are best suited for the SD role. What specific loads do you carry for SD?
    I’ve used 147gr HST and 124 gr Gold Dot in 9mm. 38 SPL I almost exclusively carry wadcutters in my snubs.

What advantages would the 356 TSW loads give me over the 9mm loads I currently use? Keep in mind that the extra velocity/energy is going to increase recoil and decrease the number of rounds that can be comfortably fired in a practice session. Plus I imagine it will increase wear on the pistols themselves. How do these new 356 TSW loadings overcome those negatives?

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    I’ve used 147gr HST and 124 gr Gold Dot in 9mm. 38 SPL I almost exclusively carry wadcutters in my snubs.

What advantages would the 356 TSW loads give me over the 9mm loads I currently use? Keep in mind that the extra velocity/energy is going to increase recoil and decrease the number of rounds that can be comfortably fired in a practice session. Plus I imagine it will increase wear on the pistols themselves. How do these new 356 TSW loadings overcome those negatives?
    There is nothing wrong with any of those IMO. I carry 9mm most days. I haven't carried a snubby with WC's but I respect the arguments for it. If your snubby is a backup there may be a better setup out there, but that is always subjective. Maybe go with the "if it's not broke don't fix it" rule? FYI the PC 940 avg was 1485 with the Corbon 115 but if I carried a snubby I maybe wouldn't carry that load in it. Even with the port it's a bit much, maybe use the 124's (closer to 1300). I prefer my handguns with a recoil spring anyway.

Who knows? Maybe better penetration and expansion, maybe no advantage, maybe what you use is ten times better than current 356's in every way. Keep in mind as well that recoil energy depends on more than just the ammo. To me a 135 grain screamer from a P-40 feels like a disaster whereas a 50k load from a Briley Comp feels like a cap gun. Then factor in who is pulling the trigger as maybe its nothing to me but it could be something to you. There is a bunch of other variables that no-one ever talks about but we can determine the recoil energy anyway and compare. What is the loaded weight of your pistol?

It's not imagination, wear increase with power increase is real. Negatives managed as usual, with heavier recoil springs and more frequent parts replacement. A Glock 17 may last 250k, a Glock 20 maybe 100k, a 356 maybe 25k, steady pressure diets being 38.5k, 40k, and 50k. Likely not that linear but, no free lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Hmmm...

What about gas-checked hard-cast bullets (like https://www.montanabulletworks.com/p...-150gr-fnb-gc/ but at about 120 grains)? They can easily go 1,600 in rifles so why not in a handgun? Being slippery, cast tends to run faster than jacketed of the same weight at the same pressure or can take a bit more weight to the same speed. That might get a bit more punch despite the lower powder capacity of the 356 TSW.

Although if Phil Shoemaker can deck a charging grizzly with a Buffalo Bore hard-cast 147-grain 9mm slug from a pocket gun (https://americanshootingjournal.com/...uts-down-bear/) then I'm not sure I need much more.

Okie John
    I agree, that bullet at 1600 fps would be a great fit for the .356 TSW or 9x23. No worries about a cup and core bullet holding together. These are ballistically similar to 10mm auto, but in a smaller package holding more rounds. Cor-Bon currently lists a 135gr 10mm auto bullet at 1400 fps from a 4.6 inch barrel. I'm not sure how that bullet holds up to those speeds. They're charging $24.99 for 20 cartridges; .356 TSW should be about that price.

Bella Twin killed a world record Grizzly bear in 1953 with a single shot .22 rifle. I may not NEED more, but I sure WANT more!

https://www.ammoland.com/2014/11/wha...%2D,22%20rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by s537 View Post
    Who knows? Maybe better penetration and expansion, maybe no advantage, maybe what you use is ten times better than current 356's in every way.
    That's a lot of 'maybes'. If someone ran .356 loads through the FBI protocol, there would be certainty about what it will or will not do compared to 9mm/.40/.45. Even then, it's highly unlikely that .356 will see any widespread use. Current 9mm, .40, .45 duty/SD ammo are tested ballistic equals and are very effective in actual use. People and agencies can get whichever flavor they like, in any pistol design they prefer. The days of LE agencies chasing better cartridges/bullets is over.

I enjoy obscure and wildcat cartridges. Some of them are slightly better than factory offerings, but I doubt many people follow me down those rabbit holes. I'm certain no ammo companies will.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    I agree, that bullet at 1600 fps would be a great fit for the .356 TSW or 9x23. No worries about a cup and core bullet holding together. These are ballistically similar to 10mm auto, but in a smaller package holding more rounds. Cor-Bon currently lists a 135gr 10mm auto bullet at 1400 fps from a 4.6 inch barrel. I'm not sure how that bullet holds up to those speeds. They're charging $24.99 for 20 cartridges; .356 TSW should be about that price.

Bella Twin killed a world record Grizzly bear in 1953 with a single shot .22 rifle. I may not NEED more, but I sure WANT more!

I always carry hard cast in the woods for the backups. Amazing what they can go through.

Shot placement right? I put down an elk years ago with an "old tech" Corbon 115 jhp to the head, after my Grand Prix was totaled on it. The car had tenderized it pretty good though. Maybe an 80/20 thing.

Grizzly stories are hair raising.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...th-454-casull/

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post

The "pay the insurance" part is great. I did not see how much it weighed or it's length. Was there data on that? Maybe it is guessed from the skull? The skin is pretty large even as small as she was. Anyone have any info/bear knowledge? Cool story!

User Tag List