Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Update on the .356 TSW project?

Site Supporter
    Sounds like the days of 9mm MAJOR of 175. Before the 2011 style was widely available, there were all kinds of higher cap wonder 9s shooting some form of 9x21, etc. I was there - CZ75 Clones, Beretta 92s and clones, Browning HiPowers and clones, and yes early Glocks. 175PF 9mm hammered those pistols (and the early red dots). I had a Springfield Armory P9 (CZ75 Clone) in 9x21 with a Tasco ProPoint PDP3BD with an Awesome Dawson scope mount. It worked but took a real beating at 175. Class when the HiCap Caspians, Paras, and 2011s became available to load to 38 Super, 9x23, etc. length. PS - in my memory the Berettas and specifically BHPs did not survive in that service long.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Sounds like the days of 9mm MAJOR of 175. Before the 2011 style was widely available, there were all kinds of higher cap wonder 9s shooting some form of 9x21, etc. I was there - CZ75 Clones, Beretta 92s and clones, Browning HiPowers and clones, and yes early Glocks. 175PF 9mm hammered those pistols (and the early red dots). I had a Springfield Armory P9 (CZ75 Clone) in 9x21 with a Tasco ProPoint PDP3BD with an Awesome Dawson scope mount. It worked but took a real beating at 175. Class when the HiCap Caspians, Paras, and 2011s became available to load to 38 Super, 9x23, etc. length. PS - in my memory the Berettas and specifically BHPs did not survive in that service long.
    My first high cap open gun was a Caspian in 9x21. It was super reliable, not having the rim of the more common .38 super guns. Got to 80K+ of 175+ PF before breaking a barrel lug. At that point I had a new barrel and comp fitted in .38 super, as rimless .38 super had become a thing, and quality 9x21 brass was becoming harder to come by.

With the rising popularity of compact 2011s, I really think someone is missing the boat by not licensing / offering compact Caspian wide bodies. It make for a slimmer and less complex platform than a 2011.

SAAMI pressure for .356 TSW

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    That is 9x23 performance. BB claims a 115 at 1550.
    The least of those loads G19 115 at 1540 is power factor 177 - old major - from a 4" barrel.
    You are not getting that for free in a 9mm P length action, pressure must be high.
    SAAMI pressure for .356 TSW is 50000.

SAAMI pressure for .356 TSW

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    That is 9x23 performance. BB claims a 115 at 1550.
    The least of those loads G19 115 at 1540 is power factor 177 - old major - from a 4" barrel.
    You are not getting that for free in a 9mm P length action, pressure must be high.
    Rather I should say max SAAMI pressure for .356 TSW is 50000.

Max for 9x23 is 55k.

356 TSW available again

Quote Originally Posted by 19852+ View Post
    I just did a quick google search and found some with ammo seek. Expensive but it is defensive ammo. My Colt super would love it.
    A small consortium of sorts has worked over the last few years to breath some life back into this cartridge. Randy Lee with Hornady, myself with Starline, Corbon, Underwood, and Briley. FYI with Glocks we average 1612 with 4.5 inch did average about 1670 fps with the 6" in testing with muzzle energy at 664 FPE and 712 FPE respectively (with a 6.5 or 7 inch barrel we may be able to get over 1700 and maybe reach 750 FPE or thereabouts). That was with Corbon's new production 115 grain JHP, and Underwoods 115 grain JHP was comparable. Corbon is under new ownership and management and doing much better because of it and Underwood has a great crew. I was also blogging abit with some 357 SIG fanboys awhile back and they gave me some ideas for much higher velocities with extra light/small bullets. We are also working on 1400+ fps 147 grain hard cast that could be a decent penetrating defensive round against back woods critters with tough skins. And...we are planning for more to come so if you are a .356 TSW fanboy like we all are please spread the word. The more people that jump in the better.

Quote Originally Posted by s537 View Post
    A small consortium of sorts has worked over the last few years to breath some life back into this cartridge. Randy Lee with Hornady, myself with Starline, Corbon, Underwood, and Briley. FYI with Glocks we average 1612 with 4.5 inch did average about 1670 fps with the 6" in testing with muzzle energy at 664 FPE and 712 FPE respectively (with a 6.5 or 7 inch barrel we may be able to get over 1700 and maybe reach 750 FPE or thereabouts). That was with Corbon's new production 115 grain JHP, and Underwoods 115 grain JHP was comparable. Corbon is under new ownership and management and doing much better because of it and Underwood has a great crew. I was also blogging abit with some 357 SIG fanboys awhile back and they gave me some ideas for much higher velocities with extra light/small bullets. We are also working on 1400+ fps 147 grain hard cast that could be a decent penetrating defensive round against back woods critters with tough skins. And...we are planning for more to come so if you are a .356 TSW fanboy like we all are please spread the word. The more people that jump in the better.
    I like the idea but I'm set up for .38 super auto reloading, I have enough cases, etc.. A .356 defensive round would be great but, IMO, to be really successful we need inexpensive shoot 'em up, training ammo to make it more commonplace . If the police got in the .356 game that would go a long way. Reloaders won't have a problem but most don't reload.

Site Supporter
    I thought the idea of light bullets going very fast for self defense kind of died after Marshal & Sanow (sp). Guess not.

Then too, I'm so old school I still like the 45 ACP over the mighty 9mm. (LOL)

Dave

I have two pistols chambered in 9x23 Winchester, so .356 TSW does nothing I cannot already do other than fit in a Glock 17 or 19. And that return does not justify the investment. With 9x23, I have pushed 147-grain bullets above 1400 fps in a five-inch barrel and above 1500 fps in a six-inch barrel with no issues. I could probably push the velocities in the six-inch barrel even higher, but I see no need with the size of the local deer.

.356 and 9x23

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    I have two pistols chambered in 9x23 Winchester, so .356 TSW does nothing I cannot already do other than fit in a Glock 17 or 19. And that return does not justify the investment. With 9x23, I have pushed 147-grain bullets above 1400 fps in a five-inch barrel and above 1500 fps in a six-inch barrel with no issues. I could probably push the velocities in the six-inch barrel even higher, but I see no need with the size of the local deer.
    9x23 is another great forgotten cartridge for bigger frame pistols. 356 allows about 95% of the power in a smaller package though so it is quite justified in that sense.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by s537 View Post
    9x23 is another great forgotten cartridge for bigger frame pistols. 356 allows about 95% of the power in a smaller package though so it is quite justified in that sense.
    Are any of the bullets that are being factory loaded actually designed for the higher velocities of .356 ? I’m kinda leary on throwing it a bullet designed for optimum expansion at 1000-1200 fps at 1600 or so fps. We know that can be a recipe or overexpansion and under penetration.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

User Tag List