Thread: Colt Custom Competition

Site Supporter

Colt Custom Competition

This is fast becoming a favorite practice/training/range gun. This is a Custom Competition model built in the Colt Custom Shop. This one is a 38 Super, they are also available in 45. I think it's a good example of what the Custom Shop produces and compares favorably with other semi-custom 1911s.

Name:  20200912_113550.jpg
Views: 1914
Size:  60.4 KB

The pistol is completely hand built and fitted by the Custom Shop gunsmiths using all forged or tool steel parts. No cast or MIM parts are used in these guns. The gun ships with an extended mag well but it is currently fitted with a standard checkered main spring housing. The mag well in the frame is beveled for easier magazine insertion.

Name:  20200912_114214.jpg
Views: 1211
Size:  40.9 KB

The custom shop match barrel starts over-sized and is fit to the slide by hand.

Name:  20200912_113735.jpg
Views: 1038
Size:  51.6 KB

The Custom Shop fits both safeties nicely on their guns. The thumb safety has a very positive on/off click with no slop. The grip safety is tuned to allow the trigger to be pressed at about one third of its travel.

Name:  20200912_113602.jpg
Views: 1197
Size:  32.5 KB

Colt's in house checkering is nicely done.

Name:  20200912_113617.jpg
Views: 1065
Size:  48.6 KB

The markings on the bushing are a throw-back to the old National Match Colts.

Name:  20200912_113828.jpg
Views: 1016
Size:  21.3 KB

Shooting the gun is a pleasure, and 38 Super is a lot like shooting a 9mm 1911. But the dimensions of the 38 Super cartridge make it more suited to the 1911. I have shot just around 1000 rounds through this gun, adding lube at around the 500 round mark and so far there have been no failures/malfunctions/stoppages of any kind. This gun will be used a lot, and it appears to be up to the task.

I wouldn't mind having one of these in 45, but for now my Special Combat Government models fit the purpose.

A dozen Ed Brown magazines loaded and ready to go.

Name:  20200912_113440.jpg
Views: 1050
Size:  55.3 KB

Nice, I love 1911’s...

Looks like a good gun. I do wonder why they put the military match blueprint number on the bushing, though; that was never a Colt part.

I think the .38 Super is a great cartridge, superior to 9mm in the long action. But I would have to hire a caddy to follow me around and pick up brass; arthritis inclines me to the cheap stuff.

I did not see the .38 on the Colt www today, you may have the last of the breed.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    It's your time @Robinson I bet you could find .38 super on the shelf for about the same cost as 9mm. [emoji23]

I love the idea of the super in a 1911. It really is the better 9mm to fit the gun, but mine have worked okay in 9x19 so I don't think one is in the cards for me.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

As a fan of the .38 Superb, this looks to be a 3 sin pistol.

Lust? Check.
    Coveting? Check.
    Idolatry? Check.

Pretty solid trifecta if you ask me.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    It's your time @Robinson I bet you could find .38 super on the shelf for about the same cost as 9mm. [emoji23]
    You joke, but this whole ammo drought sgammo has had plenty of 38 super in stock, ready to ship. I've never seen them out of stock, including ball ammo. In fact, it's still $0.60/round even for 115gr Federal generic JHP.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    I did not see the .38 on the Colt www today, you may have the last of the breed.
    There's a few on gunbroker if you're willing to wade through the engraved gaudy .38s they also have in abundance.

I've been toying with one of these, one of the .38 competition models and one of the .38 gold cups for several months now. Prices don't seem to have been affected much, still in the $2300 range which track with my vague memory of what they were going for Before Covid.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    It's your time @Robinson I bet you could find .38 super on the shelf for about the same cost as 9mm.
    I've been buying cases of the stuff lately for around .38 per round before tax and shipping. The price of 38 Super hasn't really gone up much during the latest craziness, and I've been shooting a lot of it -- both because I like it and to avoid shooting up my stash of 45 ACP.

Awesome, I have a irrational love for 1911’s with the Colt name on them and I’ve eyed one of these since they were announced.

User Tag List