Thread: S&W K frame barrels

S&W K frame barrels

Are the 38 spl barrels the same steel alloy and hardness as 357 K frame barrels? In other words, could a 38 spl barrel be safely used on a 357, such as a 3" heavy model 10 barrel on a model 13? I'm making the assumption that this is a more recent barrel, as opposed to pre-war or pre-K frame magnum period.

Site Supporter
    Consensus is that after a certain date in the 1970s, Smith used the same metallurgy in all their steel centerfire revolvers. I no longer remember the reference.

In .38 spl barrels the forcing cone is thinner and longer and protrudes further back from the frame. Said another way, in .357 revolvers more of the forcing cone is within the frame.
    Last edited by willie; 10-27-2017 at 03:25 PM.

Thanks, I recall similar information, but knew there were people here, like Wayne D, Darrel, or others that likely know more for certain.

Yes, the rear of the barrel would have to be trimmed to fit and the forcing cone recut.

Ive been surprised at how affordable some of the 4" model 13s and model 10s have sold for on gunbroker. Made the wheels in my head turn. I suspected the barrel would be OK, but want to be sure before proceeding any further. I apparently just bought the last known 3" M-10 barrel in captivity at Numrich. Id prefer to have 357 capability if possible, given my neighborhood. The barrel marking being 38 spl doesnt bother me if I screwed it onto a model 13, and the markings will be nicely centered as opposed to cutting a 4" barrel down.
    Last edited by Malamute; 10-27-2017 at 04:29 PM.

User Tag List