Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Test Variations?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    Tried the HiTS Advanced Super Steroid Test yesterday...great test, very challenging.

From concealment with the new Gen5 G17, I was 5.88/91 points at 15 yards, 3.98/95 points at 10 yards, and 3.10/96 points from 5 yards.

Damn fine shooting! I really have to take a class with you one day Gabe. I managed a 280/300 Advanced Super Test yesterday. Last week I scored a 293/300 but my 5y string took 5.13s, my 10y string took 10.24s, and I only fired 9 rounds at 15y and by the time I realized it and fired the 10th, I was at 30s lol. When I see someone post results like yours, I’m basically awed at how much further I want my skills to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Last year I got to watch Larry Vickers shoot the Half Test in class. It's 10 shots on a B-8 target at 5 yards from the low ready with a 5-second par time.

He shot it in 2.8 seconds, which was his personal record at the time.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Damn fine shooting! I really have to take a class with you one day Gabe. I managed a 280/300 Advanced Super Test yesterday. Last week I scored a 293/300 but my 5y string took 5.13s, my 10y string took 10.24s, and I only fired 9 rounds at 15y and by the time I realized it and fired the 10th, I was at 30s lol. When I see someone post results like yours, I’m basically awed at how much further I want my skills to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's very kind of you to say - thank you! I always jump back and forth mentally between looking at where I want to be and trying to get there, and feeling good about accomplishments along the way. Looking toward where I want to be is kind of unsatisfying since I'm always trying to get further in some way, so I never really arrive at where I want to be. I have to stop and feel good about something sometimes. Looking ahead can really warp our point of view about where we already are. Your 280 and slightly overtime 293 on the Advanced Super Test are really outstanding IMHO!
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    Tried the HiTS Advanced Super Steroid Test yesterday...great test, very challenging.

From concealment with the new Gen5 G17, I was 5.88/91 points at 15 yards, 3.98/95 points at 10 yards, and 3.10/96 points from 5 yards.
    GW to mere mortal translation:
    Great test = maddening test that makes one want to cry
    Very challenging = some day, I may consider this possible.
    I was 5.88/91 points at 15 yards, 3.98/95 points at 10 yards, and 3.10/96 points from 5 yards. = awesome work, well done.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    I am waiting for the Gabe version with half the Langdon times....

In all seriousness...we have found the Test and the variations we use that are in line with the original is a fantastic tool for us to evaluate students. We often hear the “I don’t need a basic class, been shooting all my life (or cop, or military)”. Our response is simple, “Let’s shoot a Test”. Wayne and I will usually shoot a cold Super Test the second we set foot on the range. It is a great way to see exactly where we are and what we need to focus on for training that day.
    Thanks for identifying these standards. I've been planning to take one of y'all's classes for a while but wasn't sure where to start. I've been shooting a long time, and I'm retired military, but have only recently started doing much speed or drill work. Sounds like the basic class is where I should be.

Bumping this to post a Half Test from today. VP9SK, Speer Lawman 124gr, score 95/100 in 3.34 seconds

Not a fluke the bottom (upside down, was at the top when shot) B8 on that target was a 3.45 second 97/100 6x

Best Super Test of 288/300 (with about 10 total seconds of par time left)(last month)
    Last edited by Steaz; 03-10-2018 at 03:44 PM.

Site Supporter
    I shot the Advanced Super Test for the first time today.

M&P 2.0 Compact
    Mix of 115gr Federal aluminum and 115gr Blazer
    JMCK IWB under a t shirt

5 yards: 95pts - 3.16 seconds
    10 yards: 95pts - 6.71 seconds
    15 yards: 93pts - 10.07 seconds

Total: 283

I obviously didn't make good use of the allowed times and I'm not really sure why. That definitely cost me points, especially at 5 and 10. The big killer at 15 was that I got halfway through the string and realized I was aiming high. I recently switched to a fiber optic front sight and I've noticed that when it's really bright I tend to lose the top of the post and start aiming with the FO. I believe Pannone said he now zeros his guns with the top edge of the FO because of that same issue. Something to think about if I keep doing it.

Oh well. I'm not thrilled with a 283 but I'll take it on my first run.

I shot my first ever "clean" (all touching the black) super test, cold, with defense ammo (Gold Dot). Did take a full size pistol to do it.

If only I actually fucking shot this one straight and centered, score could be so much better than 283

I've only had it a week, but after 900 rounds downrange I'm "stuck" at 283 for the Super Test with this gun
    Last edited by Steaz; 03-25-2018 at 06:53 PM.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Steaz View Post
    I shot my first ever "clean" (all touching the black) super test, cold, with defense ammo (Gold Dot). Did take a full size pistol to do it.

If only I actually fucking shot this one straight and centered, score could be so much better than 283

I've only had it a week, but after 900 rounds downrange I'm "stuck" at 283 for the Super Test with this gun
    Nice!

Site Supporter
    All the cool kids are doing 283.

Quote Originally Posted by scjbash View Post
    I shot the Advanced Super Test for the first time today.

Total: 283

Quote Originally Posted by Steaz View Post

User Tag List