Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Test Variations?

The Test Variations?

I started this thread because there are a number of variations of the classic The Test out there. I don't know them all and I'd like to hear about them.

The Test is 10 yards, 10 second par, 10 rounds to a B8 bull. A passing score is usually considered to be 90 points, or all in the black, depending on who is doing the scoring. The basic version is to shoot The Test from ready, but it can also be done from the holster or the concealed holster.

I know there are some variations with greater/lesser time limits and distances, etc. What else is there? Half Test? Super Test? Mega Awesome Test? Let's compile the variations!
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Here are variations that have been shared with me. All shared the scoring of Pass/Fail, 10 seconds, all in the black from 10 yards.

1. "Original" 1911 oriented test: DRAW and fire 8.
    1A. Draw and fire 4, reload and fire four.

2. From Ready fire 5 reload and fire 5
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Here was the origination of the HiTS Super Test and Advanced Super Test from the original Facebook post. We also did a Revolver version and a Snub Revolver version.

“After spending some time with training legend Ken Hackathorn last week at SHOT show we came up with a new drill today inspired by Ken. We are calling it the "Super Test".
    30 round drill. All starting from a low ready.
    15 yards, 10 rounds in 15 seconds
    10 yards, 10 rounds in 10 seconds
    5 yards, 10 rounds in 5 seconds
    This is scored by the numbers on a B8 Bullseye target. Goal 270 or better. We also did an advanced version starting from the draw with the same times.
    Wayne did a great job with this on the advanced version as his target illustrates. We found it does a very good job as a final drill of the day to reinforce the fundamental skills and consistency before leaving the range. For our students...plan on seeing this in your future at class.“

Essentially, the Super Test adds a 15 yard stage that is an evaluation tool for accuracy, the ten yard that is a balance stage and a 5 yard that is the traditional half Test that is a lot about recoil management.

The Super Test gives better shooters who can pass “The Test” a more compressive self evaluation tool. Langdon has a version of our Super Test on steroids for the really good folks.

We use these as an evaluation tool more than a status thing.
    Last edited by Dagga Boy; 10-27-2017 at 12:04 PM.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Ernest Langdon's Super Test on Steroids time standards are 7.5s at 15y, 5s at 10y, and 3.5s at 5y. I'm currently working on consistently getting 285/300 on the Advanced Super Test. When I reach that goal, I'll give these crazy time standards a try.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Ernest Langdon's Super Test on Steroids time standards are 7.5s at 15y, 5s at 10y, and 3.5s at 5y. I'm currently working on consistently getting 285/300 on the Advanced Super Test. When I reach that goal, I'll give these crazy time standards a try.
    So all three distances? Are they all 10-shot strings? Ready, holster, concealed holster?

Thanks!!!
    Lord of the Food Court

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    So all three distances? Are they all 10-shot strings? Ready, holster, concealed holster?

Thanks!!!
    From his youtube video about it, I believe the Super Test on Steroids is the same Super Test DB just posted but with tighter time standards. The default version is from a ready position and the Advanced version would be from a holster.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post

Thanks!!!
    https://youtu.be/OEb0mIWmbn8
    Taking a break from social media.

I am waiting for the Gabe version with half the Langdon times....

In all seriousness...we have found the Test and the variations we use that are in line with the original is a fantastic tool for us to evaluate students. We often hear the “I don’t need a basic class, been shooting all my life (or cop, or military)”. Our response is simple, “Let’s shoot a Test”. Wayne and I will usually shoot a cold Super Test the second we set foot on the range. It is a great way to see exactly where we are and what we need to focus on for training that day.
    Last edited by Dagga Boy; 10-27-2017 at 05:57 PM.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Lol yeah I wish!
    Lord of the Food Court

I used to do a 10 yard ten round version from the holster, but split across 3 B8's, 3 shots 4 shots 3 shots. I'd run it left to right, right to left, center left right, center right left, however. That was back when I got to shoot a lot more, but I usually got it done clean (all in black was clean for me) in around 6.5 seconds. Not smoking fast, but it was what I could do.

User Tag List