Thread: Week 240: Draws and Reloads

Week 240: Draws and Reloads

Week 240: Draws and Reloads

Results may be posted until November 27th, 2017.

Designed by: Todd Louis Green
    Range: 7 yards
    Target: 8" circle
    Start Position: Holstered
    Rounds Fired: 60

This week we are really going to drill, repeating similar techniques multiple times to build skill.

First, draw and fire 3 rounds at the 8" circle. Record your total time and your draw (first shot). Repeat for a total of 10 runs, 30 rounds.

Second, draw and fire 1 round at the 8" circle, reload, and fire two more rounds at the 8" circle. Record your total time, your draw, and your reload. Repeat for a total of 10 runs, 30 rounds.

(This is just like the first two parts of the 99 Drill, but on a much bigger target so you should be able to push your speed accordingly.)

If you cannot draw from the holster, instead begin from a ready position.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

- Starting position (ready position, open holster, retention holster, or concealed)
    - Type of reload you performed (slidelock, in battery, magazine retention)
    - Total time for ten 3-shot draws, and number of shots missed if any
    - Total time for ten 1-R-2, and number of shots missed if any
    - Best and worst time for the draws (all 20, from both strings of fire)
    - Best and worst reload
    - Anything you noticed

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

It is almost like Mr. White read my training journal and saw I was working on reloads for this weeks drill.
    The drill comes at the perfect time for me as I am working between the G-19.5 and PX4CC for a permanent carry gun.
    I have only shot the PX4CC for about 300 rounds- so I am still getting used to the pistol. Glocks- I have fired thousands of rounds from.
    Shot all from the low ready and a slidelock reload.

G-19.5 PX4CC PX4CC
    TOTAL TIME 17.87 20.29 21.32
    TOTAL TIME +M 23.87 33.29 24.32
    TOTAL 1-R-2 46.44 48.85 46.43
    TOTAL 1-R-2 +M 58.44 56.85 48.43
    BEST DRAW 1.02 1.08 1.05
    WORST DRAW 1.34 1.40 1.34
    BEST RELOAD 2.82 2.98 2.67
    WORST RELOAD 3.73 3.46 3.42

What did I notice- shooting the G-19.5 before the PX4CC was a big mistake- really mixing the pistols at all was a mistake. The first iteration of the PX4CC isn't a true indicator IMO of how I can shoot that pistol. I also was pressing because, well, I like the PX4CC better than the G-19.5. On the second iteration of the PX4CC- I just slowed down and said- take your time and make the shot. Well- I was about 25% slower (TOTAL TIME), but when I add +1 for misses- I end up doing better.
    I think my biggest issue is still pressing for time- slow down, take a deep breath, and be smooth. I could tell during my 3rd attempt- just concentrating on the shot- I was going smoother, and my times were better.
    My reload still looks like a goat show at a small county fair- more practice. I also had some issues shooting from the low ready. I have gotten into a routine of using a strong side carry, but since I am still waiting on my PX4CC holster- I figured shooting both guns from the low ready would be the most fair.
    Last edited by holmes168; 10-27-2017 at 05:12 PM.
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

Gen 4 glock 19, gen 3 trigger bar, minus connector, scd, dawson sights
    Concealed under a zip front sweater
    Slide lock reloads

D3

Total Time-Draw Time
    1. 2.32 - 1.66 c
    2. 2.30 - 1.67 c
    3. 2.35 - 1.68 c
    4. 2.58 - 1.87 c
    5. 2.27 - 1.62 c
    6. 2.39 - 1.64 -1
    7. 2.55 - 1.72 c
    8. 2.31 - 1.54 c
    9. 2.54 - 1.75 c
    10. 2.34 - 1.65 c

Total Time - 23.95 Total draw time - 16.80
    Average time - 2.395 Average draw time - 1.68

1r2

Total time- draw time- reload time

1. 6.30 - 1.69 - 4.13 c
    2. 4.36 - 1.75 - 2.22 c
    3. 4.18 - 1.65 - 2.18 c
    4. 4.07 - 1.63 - 2.08 c
    5. 3.85 - 1.58 - 1.95 c
    6. 4.19 - 1.66 - 2.16 -1
    7. 4.12 - 1.64 - 2.12 c
    8. 3.95 - 1.57 - 2.03 c
    9. 3.93 - 1.47 - 2.16 c
    10. 4.05 - 1.64 - 2.07 c

Total 1r2 time - 43 Total draw time - 16.28 Total reload time - 23.1
    Average time - 4.3 Average draw time - 1.628 Average reload time - 2.31

Combined average draw time - 1.654

Best draw - 1.47 Worst draw - 1.87

Best reload - 1.95 Worst reload - 4.13

Observations - I only dropped two shots for the whole drill. I'm thankful for the consistency but at the same time I didn't really push myself too hard either. Run #4 of D3 was a fouled draw where my thumb got hung up on the beavertail of the gun somehow resulting in the slowest draw of the day. On Run #6 of D3 I lost front sight focus and inadvertently shifted focus to the target and ended up pulling a shot. Other than that run I did a solid job of watching my sights during the drills. On run #1 of 1r2 I had a complete dummy moment. I fumbled the reload, getting caught up on the grip plug somehow, and caused the grip plug itself to dislodge from the gun and also stripped the top round from the magazine. My entire reload on this run was only two tenths less than my average complete run time. That run skewed the results of the averages but I still managed a 2.3 average reload, which isn't fast by any means but isn't entirely a misrepresentation of my average performance outside of this drill. On run #6 of 1r2 I dropped my second shot of the drill. It hit the paper plate but was outside of the white zone that I was using as a scoring zone.

I had a bit of a left bias when pushing speed that wasn't represented in the rest of my shooting session when being more deliberate in my trigger press. It wasn't the newly installed dawsons, but rather me and poor mechanics at speed. I'm rather unimpressed or embarrassed by my performance today. I'm happy I got all but two of my hits but the times were certainly not earth shattering. Overall I would say that it's a decent representation of my on demand performance and not what I could do if pushing harder. I had some ongoing wrist problems pop up today which unfortunately hampered my shooting, and mostly my draw, by just a small amount. It isn't an excuse by any means as I still knocked out the runs without issue, but I could push a bit harder on days when the pain isn't present.

Let's start with the excuses. It was cold out. 25 degrees and windy. This seems to affect my grip the most for some reason. I am finding with these plastic frame guns I just can't grip as well when it is under 40 degrees or so. The cold helped with fumbling a few reloads as well.

USPSA Carry Optics gear. G17 MOS with DPP. Shot from holster with in battery reloads.
    Total 3 shot draw time of 23.01 seconds with one miss.
    Total 1R2 time of 42.54 clean.
    Best draw 1.25, worst draw 1.68.
    Best reload 2.04, worst reload 2.7.

I like these drill type DOW's. This and the DOW 241 made up the majority of my practice session today.

Name:  IMG_20171111_112253.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  33.2 KB

I shot this on 10/28/2017 and forgot to post my results since I've slacked on my journal again. Shame Shame Shame

- Starting position G19-5 concealed AIWB in a DSG Orion under a buttoned front shirt
    - Type of reload you performed Slidelock
    - Total time for ten 3-shot draws, and number of shots missed if any 20.93s for 9 runs (timer malfunctioned on one run) with 4 misses
    - Total time for ten 1-R-2, and number of shots missed if any 48.24s with 4 misses
    - Best and worst time for the draws (all 20, from both strings of fire) Best: 1.54s Worst: 1.92s
    - Best and worst reload Best: 2.17s Worst: 3.89s
    - Anything you noticed My draw remains slower than I'd like. I've been slacking awfully on dry practice holster work and it shows. I had two failures to lock back on the reloads which slowed me down when I had to rack the slide. This happens sometimes with Glocks since if my grip isn't perfect, I ride the slide stop.

- Beretta 92 AIWB; t-shirt with hands at side
    - Slidelock
    - 15.97 (about 85% A's, 15% C's)
    - 33.86 (about 85% A's, 15% C's)
    - Draws: Best - 0.98 / Worst - 1.28
    - Reloads: Best - 1.34 / Worst - 3.52
    - Without intending to do this, I ended up subconsciously using this drill to really push speed. I decided to just go with it and accept some dropped shots in order to try to push the envelope a bit and see what I could do. Had a couple epic missed reloads including the worst one where I almost lost grip on the mag completely. Was definitely cheating the first shot on the 1R2 set and was accepting a pretty rough sight picture. The reloads in the 1.3x second range are definitely not doable on demand in other drills where I'm not gaming the reload, but it at least shows me it's physically possible, so a new goal to work towards.

- Starting position PX4CC concealed AIWB in a JMCK 2.5 holster under a buttoned long sleeve shirt
    - Type of reload you performed Slidelock
    - Total time for ten 3-shot draws, and number of shots missed if any 29.36 with 5 misses. After adding 5 x 1 second penalties- 34.36
    - Total time for ten 1-R-2, and number of shots missed if any 58.08 with 1 miss. After adding 1 x 1 second penalty- 59.08
    - Best and worst time for the draws (all 20, from both strings of fire) Best: 1.96s Worst: 2.29s
    - Best and worst reload Best: 2.82s Worst: 4.28s
    - Anything you noticed- Definitely need to work on reloads. Cutting down a second would be a big help. I need to work on draw- goal is to cut back 0.5 seconds. Hit that first shot- seems like I miss the first shot if I miss.
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

User Tag List