Thread: LE133 buckshot...why?

LE133 buckshot...why?

Why does LE133 exist? Is it similar to the change from 64 to 62gr Gold Dot in .223, created solely to compete for a specific large contracts that mandated 8 pellets vs. 9 in their verbage, or does it do something special/different aside from LE132? Viewing Federal's ShotShell book, they look to have identical performance, except LE132 puts 9 on paper instead of 8.

http://www.le.vistaoutdoor.com/downl..._Data_Book.pdf

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Why does LE133 exist? Is it similar to the change from 64 to 62gr Gold Dot in .223, created solely to compete for a specific large contracts that mandated 8 pellets vs. 9 in their verbage, or does it do something special/different aside from LE132? Viewing Federal's ShotShell book, they look to have identical performance, except LE132 puts 9 on paper instead of 8.

http://www.le.vistaoutdoor.com/downl..._Data_Book.pdf
    Per Tom Givens (IIRC), the 8-pellet loads are less likely to have a “flyer”pellet out of the pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
    Per Tom Givens (IIRC), the 8-pellet loads are less likely to have a “flyer”pellet out of the pattern.
    I know that the 9-pellet conventional wads can do this, but is Flite Control also prone to it?

I know that the 9-pellet conventional wads can do this, but is Flite Control also prone to it?
    I haven't had that problem recently. My WAG is that Federal has really had to clean up their act since Hornady's offerings are readily available. Federal's that leaked buffer, had bad crimps and gobs of sealant aren't that common any more. When I cut the old ones apart, often the top pellet would have sealant and buffer glued to it and I think that caused the flyer.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Patterning my shotguns with both 8 and 9 pellet FliteControl, I find the 8 pellet load shoots tighter more consistently than the 9 pellet load. The 9 pellet load usually has a flyer as with other 9 pellet loads, but it's more pronounced as the 8 pellet pattern remaining is still pretty tight (but not as tight as the LE133 8 pellet load). With the LE133 I expect 2-3" patterns at 15 yards and get them pretty consistently. I live in a rural "neighborhood", with other dwellings 100 - 200 yards away. I feel a bit more secure with the consistent 8 pellet patterns that I get from LE133, FWIW. My SWAG* is that LE133 shoots tighter patterns due to how the pellets are stacked in the shot cup. The 9 pellet load is a bit more crowded and seems like the pellets would be more susceptible to deformation when fired,even with buffer material and copper plating. Note that Hornady Critical Defense 00 buck load uses the same wad (they call it Versatite) and 8 pellet count without the buffer and plating. The CD patterns are also larger than the LE133, which indicates to me the plating and buffer material does help, and the wider patterns are due to pellet deformation. I also find that the #1 Buck load with Flitecontrol tends to pattern tighter and more consistently than the 9 pellet load.

* SWAG = Scientific Wild Ass Guess

I believe Tom also reported that Flite Control is prone to this as well, but I could be wrong.

BUT I've shot 9-pellet FC and 8-pellet FC (and Versatite) out of my guns, and will get fliers with the 9-pellet about 15% of the time at 25-yards (my max buckshot distance). I've never gotten an 8-pellet flier...So, I use 8-pellet FC or Versatite (both perform virtually identical in my guns); whichever I can find in stock. The Hornady stuff has the advantage of ONLY coming in 8-pellet form, so if you find Critical Defense/TAP 00 buckshot, you've got 8-pellets in a Versatite wad.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    Patterning my shotguns with both 8 and 9 pellet FliteControl, I find the 8 pellet load shoots tighter more consistently than the 9 pellet load. The 9 pellet load usually has a flyer as with other 9 pellet loads, but it's more pronounced as the 8 pellet pattern remaining is still pretty tight (but not as tight as the LE133 8 pellet load). With the LE133 I expect 2-3" patterns at 15 yards and get them pretty consistently. I live in a rural "neighborhood", with other dwellings 100 - 200 yards away. I feel a bit more secure with the consistent 8 pellet patterns that I get from LE133, FWIW. My SWAG* is that LE133 shoots tighter patterns due to how the pellets are stacked in the shot cup. The 9 pellet load is a bit more crowded and seems like the pellets would be more susceptible to deformation when fired,even with buffer material and copper plating. Note that Hornady Critical Defense 00 buck load uses the same wad (they call it Versatite) and 8 pellet count without the buffer and plating. The CD patterns are also larger than the LE133, which indicates to me the plating and buffer material does help, and the wider patterns are due to pellet deformation. I also find that the #1 Buck load with Flitecontrol tends to pattern tighter and more consistently than the 9 pellet load.

* SWAG = Scientific Wild Ass Guess
    Tabasco's experiences and living conditions mirror my own almost exactly.

Somebody (Givens?) described 9 pellet buck loads as "8 pellets and a flyer." That has been my experience across the board. Flight control is less prone, but it still happens. It's not a huge deal. If all I had on hand was 9 pellet buck, I'd load up and go to work, but if I have the option of the 8 pellet load and the 9 pellet load, I'll pick the 8.

I still need get a significant amount of #1 down the tube to determine if I want to make that switch.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List