Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Barrett Fieldcraft 6.5 Creedmoor - First Impressions

I know that range. What a great public, free facility! Never did hit the 'cowboy' with my .308. I think he is a little over a 1,000 yards.
    Last edited by Alembic; 04-29-2018 at 07:06 PM.

The gentleman I was shooting next to said the 1k targets got pulled down. There was a sign saying watch where your rounds go, cattle graze on the other side of the ridge. Not tough to put 2 and 2 together.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I have one of these in 6.5 on my short list.
    Did this ever come to pass?

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Some sort of .270 or .300 magnum has worked well for me over the past twenty years in the West.

Very interesting, but I would love to borrow one for a few days hunting, and see how this concept actually works in the hunting field in cold, wet and snowy conditions.

I ended up with a FIX rifle ( 16" .308) for a bit. An associate bought one. It was not shooting properly and he wanted me to look into it. He is not a "gun guy" so I/we figured it was not a hardware problem. We went out and shot it initially,and it was very erratic in its groups. I figured something was loose. skipping right to the punchline, I took it home and was prepared to tear it completely down. The scope ring screws were held on with maybe 1 inch pound of torque.

I tore everything down anyways and re torqued everything, then applied clear finger nail polish hardener (instead of locktite, its cheaper, and works like medium strength LT) to the threads. Once everything was re-assembled, I took it back out and -re-zeroed it for him and shot some groups and played with it.

Observations pros and cons:

Pros:

Exceptionally well built.

Quick barrel change is nice if you need that feature.

No play or slop in any of the parts.

Pretty much everything can be adjusted with a singe Torx driver.

Very short bolt lift.

Cons:

The small butt pad is not comfortable at all. A longer session from prone (with a 16" 308) is not friendly to the collar bone when you are only wearing a T-shirt.
    I ended up fashioning a chunk of EVA foam to mitigate some of the recoil.

The cheek piece is hard plastic. Again, I ended up making a pad from EVA foam. This is something that needs fixed ("FIXed?).

Running the action quickly is awkward.

The bolt handle is tiny. While I personally don't mind small/standard bolt handles on rifles and actually prefer them most of the time as compared to the monstrosities that are trendy these days, the one on the FIX is simply too small for fast and smooth manipulation.

Combined with an action that was not the smoothest ( I suspect it will likely smooth up nicely with use, I am used to Tikkas and Sakos that have set the bar pretty high) running the tiny bolt handle quickly from the prone was not a fluid operation.

I found that what worked best in firing fast strings of fire, was to use the very tip of my middle finger on the face of the trigger while never letting go of the bolt handle. They say a pic is worth a thousand words, so here are a couple links to shooters who do it far better than I ever will:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5ycG87H1b8

Another great example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cnAwRJc7Sw

Overall I wanted to really like the FIX. It has a lot of great things going for it. If they would put a longer bolt handle on it, that was angled in a fashion that was more user friendly it would be great. Fix the butt pad and cheek pieces and they would be sitting pretty.

With that said, when compared side by side with a T3 in an MDT chassis. the primary thing was that the T3 was lacking was quick-change barrel feature, and that is something that can now be corrected with a trip to the gunsmith, since some barrel companies are now offering barrels with nuts on them similar to the savage barrel nut system.

Still I think it is a very cool concept, but I will continue to dance with the one I "brung"..

Just checked zero for a pig hunt; 120 AMAX @100, 2780 fps.

Name:  BE0F7D7A-9CC4-403D-B9CB-E662FB3239B4.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  36.4 KB

User Tag List