Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Barrett Fieldcraft 6.5 Creedmoor - First Impressions

Site Supporter
    Here's a quick update: I'm still very happy with this rifle. That said, the Bushnell 3-12X44 LRHS http://bushnell.com/hunting/rifle-sc...rhs-3-12x-44mm was "too much" for a such a light, compact rifle. The LRHS is a sweet scope, and an excellent value. I'm moving it to a Remington 700 LTR .308. I have a Nightforce 2-10X42 with Mil R reticle http://www.nightforceoptics.com/nxs/2-5-10x42 on the way from CS Tactical https://www.cstactical.com/. This is the second scope I've bought from Richard at CS Tactical. There will be more.

The NF should be a better fit for the Fieldcraft than was the Bushnell:

Bushnell 3-12X44: 24.4 oz & 13.4"
    NF 2-10X42: 20.5 oz & 11.9"

I keep the Mil reticle and the ability to dial elevation. I lose a bit of magnification. I'll update further after the NF is mounted and fired.

From the Big Empty, ELN.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    I wish this was available left handed.

Does anyone know of a rifle like this that is available in LH?
    Alas, we lefties are usually left out. OTOH, I have saved a ton of cash, over the years, because so few lefty bolt rifles are available for impulse-buying. I reckon that I will eventually go with a boutique brand, or custom. Or, perhaps, just keep using lever rifles and single- shots.

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming Shooter View Post
    I have a Nightforce 2-10X42 with Mil R reticle http://www.nightforceoptics.com/nxs/2-5-10x42 on the way from CS Tactical https://www.cstactical.com/. This is the second scope I've bought from Richard at CS Tactical. There will be more.
    We appreciate your continued business, I hope you enjoy your new Nightforce and please let me know if we can assist in the future!
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming Shooter View Post
    Here's a quick update: I'm still very happy with this rifle. That said, the Bushnell 3-12X44 LRHS http://bushnell.com/hunting/rifle-sc...rhs-3-12x-44mm was "too much" for a such a light, compact rifle. The LRHS is a sweet scope, and an excellent value. I'm moving it to a Remington 700 LTR .308. I have a Nightforce 2-10X42 with Mil R reticle http://www.nightforceoptics.com/nxs/2-5-10x42 on the way from CS Tactical https://www.cstactical.com/. This is the second scope I've bought from Richard at CS Tactical. There will be more.

The NF should be a better fit for the Fieldcraft than was the Bushnell:

Bushnell 3-12X44: 24.4 oz & 13.4"
    NF 2-10X42: 20.5 oz & 11.9"

I keep the Mil reticle and the ability to dial elevation. I lose a bit of magnification. I'll update further after the NF is mounted and fired.

From the Big Empty, ELN.
    I completed the scope swap last week.

Name:  NF v Bushnell LRHS comparison.jpg
Views: 1310
Size:  61.2 KB

The "old" Bushnell LRHS in the foreground and the "new" Nightforce in the rear.

Name:  Barrett Fieldcraft w NF closeup.jpg
Views: 1894
Size:  75.3 KB

Name:  Barrett Fieldcraft w NF overview.jpg
Views: 1239
Size:  24.3 KB

The Nightforce is definitely more size appropriate for the Fieldcraft.

Name:  Barrett Fieldcraft w NF on scale.jpg
Views: 1122
Size:  11.4 KB

The Barrett Fieldcraft weighs just over 7 lbs. unloaded with Nightforce scope, bases, rings, and sling.

Name:  Barrett Fieldcraft group w NF & scale.jpg
Views: 1157
Size:  44.1 KB

The rifle continues to shoot well. This group was shot from the bench at 100 yards with the rifle resting on soft bags. I zeroed 2" high at 100 yards. I'm dialing 3 mils at 600 yards. The only anticipated change is to replace the Nightforce scope caps with something better. From the Big Empty, ELN.

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    Great setup WS!
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

I ended up buying a 6.5 CM fieldcraft with the 21" barrel and a bushnell LRHS. I would love a NF 2.5-10 or 1-8 but that is more than I could spend without pissing off the wife. Unfortunately the place I ordered the bushnell from is jerking me around on when it will actually ship, I was told it would be out the door yesterday but turns out they don't even have it in their warehouse yet. I wouldn't be surprised if Bushnell is slow rolling these to intentionally make shipments miss the deadline for their 30% rebate. Oh well, still got a good price. Hopefully it ships sometime this decade so I can buy some hornady 140 and 147 ELDM and get to shooting.

I'm going to add a new post instead of editing my post of whining: Does anyone have input on what I should do for a scope?

I can't really spend more than $1k right now. This rifle will be used for hunting everything from elk to pronghorn. I typically hike or backpack into spots so a light rifle is appreciated. The ability to have a repeatable, reliable elevation turret to dial for a specific range and have a zero stop then use the reticle to hold for wind is important to me. A capped or locking windage turret seems ideal.

The bushnell 3-12 LRHS I have on order ticks all these boxes, but Wyoming Shooter changing his out has me a bit worried it will be too detrimental to the handling of such a light rifle. Seems like it would still be right at 7.25lbs unloaded. The only other option I have considered is a Nightforce SHV 3-10. I'll save a few ounces, lose the zero stop, exposed elevation turret, go from FFP to SFP, and have what seems to be an inferior reticle. Looking at the turret design it seems one could possibly fashion a zero stop with shims, or I could just use the reticle for holds and unscrew the cap to dial longer shots.

Site Supporter
    Texag--Give that Bushnell a chance. I would have continued using it but i had another rifle needing a scope. I don't know of anything better at that price point.

Thanks, I ended up finding one in stock for $975 and it shipped yesterday so I am still rebate eligible. I think I'll still have a really light rifle even with a 1.5lb scope.

The LRHS I received was broken and sent back to Bushnell the same day it was delivered to me. I got a LRTSi as a replacement because they aren't making the LRHS anymore. Not stoked about a less bold reticle and 4 ozs of weight gain over the scope I ordered, but figured I should give it a shot since the rifle is still a hair under 7.5lbs with 5 rounds on board.

My overnight backpacking trip turned into a short day hike due to too much snow on the trail, so I went to the range today to sight in the Fieldcraft and confirm my ballistic table from the Vortex LRBC. First 5 shot group after getting it close measured .7" at 109 yds, then I adjusted up and left using the reticle and got a first round hit on a 2" dot at 400. First round hits at 555 and finally a howling coyote silhouette at 605 followed. After that a guy at the bench next to me shooting a Browning x bolt and RPR in 6.5 told me I should try for the bowling pin at 605. I got it on the 3rd try due to a dumbass mistake on the 2nd shot where I adjusted my windage hold the wrong way.

I also shot my AR and immediately became annoyed with using a bdc with ammo it doesn't match after using the mil reticle of the bushnell on the fieldcraft, but was able to get hits out to 400 on a prairie dog with 55gr wolf gold since I could easily spot my own splash. Moved to pistol and closer range stuff with the AR after and was pretty disgusted with myself compared to when I shot 10k rounds a year.

I will be keeping the LRTSi on the rifle for the foreseeable future because it just makes shooting little things far away pretty easy. I haven't shot a bolt gun in the past decade and have never shot past 300.

User Tag List