Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Barrett Fieldcraft 6.5 Creedmoor - First Impressions

Site Supporter
    SteveB, was the 120 GMX load above from the Hornady Superperfomance line and what was your impression of that load?

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    SteveB, was the 120 GMX load above from the Hornady Superperfomance line and what was your impression of that load?
    Yes, Superformance; listed velocity on this round is 3050, probably from a 24” barrel. I thought 2934 out of the 18” tube was pretty good. I got 3/4” at 100, no bench, from prone. I’ll let you know when I shoot something with it.

I've decided to get one of these for my do it all hunting rifle now that I live in CO. I keep bouncing back and forth on what to get. My dream would be a long throated .284 win or 6.5-284. .270 win, 6.5x55, and 6.5CM are the ones I'm looking at. I need to talk to a couple of smiths tomorrow to see what would be required to re-chamber the 6.5x55 model to 6.5x284. I think they would need to set the barrel back a bit and I don't know if that would mess up the full bedding job Barrett does. I am baffled by their awesome twist rates in everything but the .270. Even at altitude I might be in marginal stability territory with the 145gr ELDX or 150 accubond LR.

If the barrel was 22" or 24" for the CM it would be a no brainer.

It's great to know the low Talley rings work with the 3-12 LRHS, I have one on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by texag View Post

If the barrel was 22" or 24" for the CM it would be a no brainer.
    I wouldn’t be scared of an 18, or a 21” barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor. It’s definitely no 6.5-284, but even going slow those 140 pills do alright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I talked to a co-worker who's hunted all over CO and said he hasn't taken a shot over 250 here. Would be nice to have a shorter, slightly lighter rifle.

Yeah, I talked to a co-worker who's hunted all over CO and said he hasn't taken a shot over 250 here. Would be nice to have a shorter, slightly lighter rifle.
    Based on my experience in CO, ID and MT, I really want a 400 yard rifle/cartridge to hunt mule deer and elk.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Dammit man!

What cartridge would you choose for mostly CO black bear, pronghorn, and cow elk with the occasional mule deer?

I typically hike in and hunt, so everything has to be carried.
    Last edited by texag; 03-15-2018 at 07:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Based on my experience in CO, ID and MT, I really want a 400 yard rifle/cartridge to hunt mule deer and elk.
    6.5 CM or 6.5 Prime. I'd get a Fix for a hunting rifle if I were you. Like right fucking now.
    #RESIST

Dammit man!

What cartridge would you choose for mostly CO black bear, pronghorn, and cow elk with the occasional mule deer?

I typically hike in and hunt, so everything has to be carried.
    Some sort of .270 or .300 magnum has worked well for me over the past twenty years in the West.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    6.5 CM or 6.5 Prime. I'd get a Fix for a hunting rifle if I were you. Like right fucking now.
    Very interesting, but I would love to borrow one for a few days hunting, and see how this concept actually works in the hunting field in cold, wet and snowy conditions.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Shot inbound.
    #RESIST

User Tag List