Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Barrett Fieldcraft 6.5 Creedmoor - First Impressions

No floorplate/DBM definitely wouldn't prevent me from picking one up. FYI gentlemen, looks like Whittaker Guns has good prices on these.

I do not need to handle. Bolt guns get me giddy.

That is awesome. Question regarding hunting application: how big of an animal can a 6.5 CM take down? Is it the same animal where a .270 Winchester is appropriate? Maximum effective range with let's say a monolithic or quality bonded bullet?

Wide range of opinions on that but generally speaking it's good on anything in North America (cept maybe Grizz

You just got to use your brain cells. Like that quartering away shot on a big bull elk at 400 yards is probably unwise. 400 yards broadside on stationary animal with someone who knows their rifle....absolutely.

Europeans been using 6.5*55 on moose/bear for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    That is awesome. Question regarding hunting application: how big of an animal can a 6.5 CM take down? Is it the same animal where a .270 Winchester is appropriate? Maximum effective range with let's say a monolithic or quality bonded bullet?
    IMO, the .270 Win is way better on medium game over 200 yards. For heavier stuff like elk, I’m going with 300WM; ask GJM about the last 2 elk he shot and his thoughts about caliber. While I’m real interested in the 6.5CM as a target round, I think there are better choices for hunting. I’ve shot eastern whitetail deer with a .260 around 100 yards with Barnes 120 TSX, and it’s a reliable killer, but close range on light-medium game, lots of stuff works well. 6.5CM, .260 & 6.5x55 are very close ballistically; here’s great article by Nathan Foster looking at bullet weight, velocity and design as it relates to a particular target animal. I think it's worth noting that muzzle velocity is interesting for comparisons, but it’s the velocity at the target that counts.

http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Know...se/6.5x55.html

Site Supporter
    The intended targets for this rifle are deer and antelope. It would also be an excellent big horn sheep rifle, should I ever draw a tag. I have a Kimber Montana in 300 WSM for elk and moose. The first 3-shot group from the 6.5 Fieldcraft tapes out to roughly .375 MOA. Wind was 5 - 7 mph. Ammo was Hornady ELD 140.

Name:  Barrett Fieldcraft first group w tape measure.jpg
Views: 1758
Size:  61.4 KB

Exceptional. I see they also offer the Fieldcraft in .270 and .30-06 — wonder if those are equally accurate.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I wish this was available left handed.

Does anyone know of a rifle like this that is available in LH?
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Handled an 18-in. Creed at LGS 300 yards from factory recently. Damn near swooned.

Not much you couldn't do in, worldwide, with this mild little carbine.

Must thin herd...
    "Backstabbers and window-lickers rise to the top of human organizations like oxygen-rich turds in a champagne fountain. I suspect it's been that way since at least the Bronze Age." _ Me. 2016

Since moving to SW Florida a few months ago, I've been wanting a new hunting rifle. Something short, light, stainless/synthetic, inherently accurate in an effective caliber for deer, hogs and alligators at ranges up to 200 yards or so. There's a lot of water and swamp here, and some of the locals like to use canoes to get to favorite hunting spots. After reading this thread, I bundled up a few unloved items and traded for a new 18" Fieldcraft in 6.5CM. ELN's review is terrific; I'll just add a few things. You really have to have one of these in your hands to appreciate the combination of light, handy and solid. Bolt travel is super smooth, great trigger (wider than usual, but it works). The LOP (13.75") is too long for me, but it's manageable. The stock design is comfortable, and the recoil impulse is mild for such a light rifle. The Talley LW rings/bases are great. I scoped it with a Swaro 1.7-10 and stuck a Little Bastard brake on it and off to the range. I was curious to see how various rounds chrono'd out of the short barrel, and whether Barrett's sub-MOA claim was good. Velocity was measured with Labradar, average of 5 shots. All 4 rounds shot under an inch at 100; accuracy champ was the ELD-X at .5".

Federal 140 AE OTM 2520 fps
    Hornady 143 ELD-X 2539 fps
    Hornady 120 AMAX 2778 fps
    Hornady 120 GMX 2934 fps

Name:  65CM - 1 (1).jpg
Views: 1423
Size:  41.0 KB

Name:  65CM - 1.jpg
Views: 2081
Size:  54.3 KB

User Tag List